PDA

View Full Version : Series III clutch

mrupstate
09-02-2011, 03:16 PM
My rover's clutch is slipping after about 5 minutes of driving, from what I gather and by looking threw receipts this clutch was replaced last year. This vehicle has sat and we are guessing that this is due to a worn rear main seal.

Is there an adjustment that can be made to remedy this? I have already ordered the parts and seal to replace the clutch and front and rear seals as well as all trans seals while we are in there.

Anything else I might have missed?

bkreutz
09-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Check and make sure you have free play at the pedal. You might be able to adjust some more free play in but usually once a clutch starts slipping it's a domino effect. Make sure on your adjustments when you replace the clutch.

mrupstate
09-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Where the heck is the adjuster, The service manual I have is pretty much useless for this task.

bkreutz
09-02-2011, 05:19 PM
There's an adjustable rod on the master cylinder where it hooks to the pedal.

cedryck
09-03-2011, 08:35 AM
There is a very simple adjustment that can be measured with a caliper or tape measure. Check the green Bibles, the adjustment is done by turning the nuts on the shaft.

martindktm
09-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Mine was doing the same afer the rebuilt and adjusting the pedal and bleed back the system cured my problem.

Heres a link its in french but with good pictures of where to go adjust.

http://forum.le-temps-des-series.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20673&start=15

Pretty simple.

LaneRover
09-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Do you have the wading plug for the bellhousing in or out?

I bought a Rover and while checking the multitude of oil levels I noticed that the wading plug was in. When I took it out a fair amount of oil came out - can't say that the previous owner was deliberately trying to hide the fact that it had a leaking rear seal as he had used the Rover to get to his cabin down a fairly muddy road and may have just left it in there because it was easier.

Either way I think that bleeding and adjustments are definitely the way to go first. I am guessing that my clutch is pretty well coated and thus has soaked up lots of oil, it shudders a bit when taking off as the clutch kind of slips and grabs but then is fine and doesn't slip at all once I am out of 1st.

mrupstate
09-06-2011, 10:15 PM
After trying everything and checking the plug, I have decided a new clutch is in order.

All the parts and seals should get here by the end of the week and be completed over the weekend.

Thank you all for your help.