PDA

View Full Version : filter bowl

rickv100
09-04-2011, 12:01 AM
How do you remove the sediment bowl on a S3?

I was stranded on the side of the road and I think it is a fuel issue. The inline filter ahead of the pump is dry but the fuel bowl is full of gas.

I tied to hand prime it but I am getting no fuel out of the pump.

I want to try to clean the bowl and the filter before assuming it is a fuel pump issue.

Rick

Jim-ME
09-04-2011, 04:41 AM
This is what I had on my 2a and I'm pretty sure it is the same on a 3. There should be a a wire bail with a thumb wheel at the bottom that holds the sediment bowl to the pump. Just unscrew the thumb wheel and pivot the bail out of the way to allow the sediment bowl to drop down.
Jim

I Leak Oil
09-04-2011, 07:42 AM
....and don't lose the seal....

jac04
09-04-2011, 07:53 AM
... and don't drop the bowl (especially if you are on pavement or a rocky trail) ...

NickDawson
09-04-2011, 10:59 AM
A beer bottle cap, wedged under the thumb screw can help you get a good seal if you can't get it tight enough... ask me how I know.

rickv100
09-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks, I went back today with a pair of pliers becuase I could not turn the thumb wheel by hand. Once I cleaned out the bowl I was able to get the pump to prime.

I still have a lack of power. I have an inline filter before the carb that I think may be clogged.

Rick

Skookumchuck
09-04-2011, 08:55 PM
I lose fuel prime the other day when climbing a steep grade in my Series IIA. I just took the fuel line apart at the inline filter and hand primed the pump untill the gas filled the line. No problem after that but with you experince I may have to drop the sediment bowl and see if it full of crap as that would effect the fuel supply on a steep grade. thanks for the post you gave me some info I was lacking

RoverForm
09-05-2011, 02:08 PM
A beer bottle cap, wedged under the thumb screw can help you get a good seal if you can't get it tight enough... ask me how I know.
how do you know?

NickDawson
09-06-2011, 08:58 AM
how do you know?

guess I walked into that one... in fairness its not a great story. But, a beer bottle cap is playing a role in keeping my Rover on the road. Even with a new seal, I couldn't get the bowl tight, just happened to open a beer in a moment of frustration and had an "ah ha" moment.

I Leak Oil
09-06-2011, 11:17 AM
guess I walked into that one...

Actually Nick, you asked to be asked.....:D