PDA

View Full Version : Front crank seal

Lord Icon
09-05-2011, 06:03 AM
I was doing the crank seal last night. I got all the rivets out ( thank God.)When installing the new seal I found that it does not want to set. .... Any reason why I can't set it in the other way? It is the proper double lip seal, LR stamped on the bag..... Is it for pressure or something? Can I hammer the bugger in? Oh, and finding screws the will fit the rivet holes AND not strip or break off, very fun.
Cheers,Kris.

P.S. After this, the overdrive goes in, I figure leaking massive amounts of oil more important than better gas mileage...

I Leak Oil
09-05-2011, 08:27 AM
You should be able to tap it in place, work it around and it will fit. I use a little RTV around the outer edge. I replace the rivets with self drilling #8 sheet metal screws. Get a good look at the sealing surface of the crank pulley. Most of the time this is why and where they leak.

Lord Icon
09-05-2011, 03:04 PM
I tried the speedi sleeve first, I was hoping the 40 year old seal would work......nope.

akrvr
09-21-2011, 04:47 PM
I was able to tap the holes as they were without drilling. I think #8? I used hex head bolts. The seal was a very tight fit. I hammered the crap out of it to the point where the edges were distorted. I put silicone around the edges before pounding it in. I used a large socket as a driver and a larger hammer. The seal had a groove so I gave it to a friend to chuck into a lathe and polish. The speedy sleeves in the catalog were too loose or too tight. Just think, if you do the mod and it still leaks, it will be a lot less work to do again!