PDA

View Full Version : Roof Vent Solutions

pgeorgeson
09-07-2011, 06:36 PM
I am still restoring my Safari-topped 109. It didn't come with the roof vents. New ones I can find are extraordinarily expensive and I haven't even found any used ones for a price that seems reasonable. Any thoughts on (1) where I should look to buy some, or (2) alternative solutions (for instance, can I make them or adapt them from parts made from other vehicles)?

Thanks for the help.

Skeeball
09-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Try Ike at pangolin 4x4 he should have what you need but , be aware you will also need the "bumps" which cover the top of the vents and are attached to the roof. I don't know how that would work if you were to instal the roof vents into a standard roof without the extra sunsheet that's found on the tropical roof.
If you are planning on doing this on a standard roof I would think twice about it..

Andrew IIA
09-07-2011, 07:43 PM
I am still restoring my Safari-topped 109. It didn't come with the roof vents

Thanks for the help.
There's sun sheets without blisters ? That sucks. I'm curious, need more info. Year. VIN. Photos !!!

My '63 88" here: Andrew's Cool 88" (http://www.flickr.com/photos/skunkalley/sets/72157610584998247/)

ps. maybe I missunderstand. pgeorgeson has a regular roof that he's like to convert into a vented/sunsheeted roof, yes ? phrase 'Safari-topped' is confusing me ..:confused:

Cutter
09-07-2011, 09:53 PM
My truck has the shield and bumps, but no vents. Someday...I think all the shields have the bumps?

Tsmith
09-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Try:http://www.rustrepair.com/app2/onlinecat.htm?r=sv&p=wi-vents.
These guys also have some interesting heaters.

They sell replacement parts for Stepvans.

pgeorgeson
09-15-2011, 06:39 PM
My question was apparently a little misleading. The truck came from the factory with roof vents, so i have the holes in the top and the bumps in the sunshade: It just didn't have the actual vents when I bought it. Therefore, I just need the actual vents that I can put in the holes in the top.

SafeAirOne
09-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Just shop around for part no. 333836. Somebody must have some in the back of a warehouse somewhere (probably in the UK).

[edit] In fact, normally low-price lrseries.com has them. They must be rare though, cause they aint cheap, even at lrseries.com!

[edit] Our hosts list them too. RNB841 (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1469-roof-vent-rear-tropical-series-iia-iii.aspx).

Andrew IIA
09-15-2011, 08:43 PM
My question was apparently a little misleading. It just didn't have the actual vents when I bought it..

I can't picture it (perhaps I am denser than usual today). The vents are missing ? So you can look up thru the vent holes and see the underside of the sun sheet ? can i request a photo ? just curious :) this is a good story.

siiirhd88
09-16-2011, 04:59 AM
I know SWB sunsheet tops were built without vents, as I have a crummy one here that was modified for an opening sunroof. Just a sunsheet, no vent bulges and no Alpine windows. I think there was a thread on the old forum that discussed what year they appeared, but of course Ike had all of the details.

Bob
'02 Disco II SD
'02 Disco II SE Kalahari
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8