PDA

View Full Version : e brake and output seals

kwd509
09-07-2011, 08:16 PM
This weekend, I intend to paint the frame if it stops raining (Actually, 3/4 of the frame, from the rear forward to just ahead of the bulkhead).

The rear bearings, seals and brakes are done, the rear drive shaft is nearly done- notwithstanding the botched job on one u-joint that I will repeat shortly.

After that I turn attention to trans-brake and gearbox. This raises two questions.
1- in cleaning and reinstalling the e brake expander and adjuster- is there a recommended grease type and procedure for these components?

2- As I have the gearbox and transfer case out, I have been advised to replace the front and rear output seals and felt washers. I'm told that after years of no use they will certainly begin leaking shortly after the vehicle runs. Fair enough. As I've got only the vaguest knowledge of the gearbox/transfer case components, this raises the question: Are there other gaskets and seals that I should be paying similar attention to while I'm at it?

thanks.

siii8873
09-08-2011, 02:19 PM
If you have the gearbox out would be a good time to do the rear main engine seal. Also the differential pinion seals (front and rear), they have been some of the worse leakers on a few of my trucks.