X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • printjunky
    3rd Gear
    • Jul 2007

Holy Catfish!!!

OK, I know the jinxability of these situations ... but after as fatal failure of the timing system, I spent the past four months working my butt off outside in INSANELY hot Midwestern summer, spending virtually every available daylight minute doing and engine in-and-out for a new cam, new timing gear, all new seals and gaskets, exhaust and vacuum leak repairs, swapped in a Rochester, put on a K&N, tune, re-tune and re-re-tune, quintuple checks all around and fixed a few minor things (speedo cable, reverse lights) ....

AND IT'S DONE!

And (here's the risky part jinx-wise), It is running like a top! Just incredibly! This is my third Series III, and I've never had one run like this! Had Webers and Zenii, and have performed a top-to-bottom rebuild on a previous engine, and still nothing has ever run like this. The acceleration is insane for a 2.25 Rover! It's very quiet, purry, even (except that K&N whoosh ... wow, that's loud. Not piercing though, kinda sounds like a blower). And that's with the floors out! Everything appears to be working great, oil pressure's perfect (and not a DROP on the ground!), temp stable, power across the revs feels GREAT. No skipping or chugging. I am back in business!

So, I NEVER say this, but raise a pint to me tonight, boyos! (And yourselves for all the help along the way. Thanks!)
  • Cutter
    4th Gear
    • Feb 2009

Congrats sir, glad the effort paid off! Now button it up and get started thinking on rover 4

Comment

• factive
      Low Range
      • Sep 2011

this is awesome

Comment

• westcoastkevin
        1st Gear
        • Jan 2011

pint raised indeed.

Comment

• LaneRover
          Overdrive
          • Oct 2006

Huzzah!
          1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
          1965 109 SW - nearly running well
          1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
          1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• albersj51
            5th Gear
            • May 2010

Nicely done! Congrats!

Comment

• Terrys
              Overdrive
              • May 2007

Did you put a 2.5 cam in?

Comment

• printjunky
                3rd Gear
                • Jul 2007

Yup, 2.5 cam. Gonna put the floors back in today after work. Then it's back to "improvement" projects:

*rack of my own design (will accommodate Yakima accessories)
                *Bumper of my own design/fabrication - to accomodate my vintage winch, but leave the hand crank slot available (cuz as amazing as they are, I can't justify an Ike original)
                *Same with slides/heavy sills.
                *rubber stall mat for some sound/temp insulation (and give the dog some grip when he's bouncing around in back!)
                *I have an idea for better than original wheel well liners since I have no splash guards (and one of the LHD ones was hard to get last time I checked)
                *Fabricate the plug for molding a fiberglass lower dash (winter basement project)
                *Work/Aux reverse light
                *Rebuild and install the Belleview winch my Rover came with (Look at this beauty I just found on ebay! Great deal (so far) on a vintage winch. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CM59-...item4aae404d35)

Comment

• LaneRover
                  Overdrive
                  • Oct 2006

As for wheel well liners a friend in Maine turned me onto rubber truck mudflaps. Bolt them in on the engine side and then they just sit on the lip of the wheel opening on the other side.
                  1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
                  1965 109 SW - nearly running well
                  1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
                  1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

Working...