PDA

View Full Version : New ex-military trailer

Skookumchuck
09-08-2011, 06:20 AM
I bought this trailer the other day. It has been chopper by the PO, with the pitle hich removed and a 2" ball hitch added. My big question is does anyone know who manufatured it, I believe it is ex military. I am planning to put a top on it and possibly a RTT to put behind the Red Rover as my base camp for hunting and fishing the back country. I know you get way mor articulation with the pindle hitch, but before I replace the 2" bal does anyone have any ideas for a better setup? Thanks in advance.:thumb-up:

Skookumchuck
09-08-2011, 06:22 AM
I forgot the pictures of the trailer:sly:

Triumphdaytona2007
09-08-2011, 01:40 PM
thats a nice trailer! the foresstry dept here in town has one very similar to it, but im not sure who its made by, i would go with the pintle hitch, i used to have 2 m416 army trailers, one had a pintle hitch and the other a 2inch ball, the pintle could do anything behind my rig but the 2 inch ball was limited, i sold those and made a trailer out of my old rover bed and stuck with the pintle hitch

Skookumchuck
09-08-2011, 02:10 PM
THat is what I was thinking it would be cool to find out the orgional mfg. but I will probably just go with what ever I can find at the wreakers. I may have to look on line if there is nothing in town. Bye the way your trailer looks great.

Jim-ME
09-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Fixed pintle hooks allow for more rotational movement than balls but they also tend to bang. When you have a frame mounted pintle you will feel all those bangs in the seat of your pants. There are two alternatives with pintle hooks. A ring on the trailer that is free to rotate or a pintle on the frame which is free to rotate. I believe you would need a military Rover frame for a rotating pintle hook. I also believe I have seen a trailer with ball mounts that rotate. Google off road trailers.
Jim

Skookumchuck
09-08-2011, 03:01 PM
I have the military Rover frame where would I get the rotating pintle hitch?

jp-
09-08-2011, 05:01 PM
I currently have 2 M416's, one operational, the other awaiting a rebuild. Both have their original lunette eyes.

There is no need for a rotating NATO hitch on your truck, because the lunette eye can rotate on the trailer.

canyonero
09-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Devon 4x4 in the UK has all sorts of Dixon Bates hitches, it's where I got my 5 tonne tow jaw, shipping was reasonable.

cgalpin
09-08-2011, 06:34 PM
I know you get way mor articulation with the pindle hitch, but before I replace the 2" bal does anyone have any ideas for a better setup? Thanks in advance.:thumb-up:
Consider one of these (I have the lock n roll and like it)

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/coupler.html

or

http://www.locknroll.com/

I love your trailer Triumphdaytona2007 - let's see a tongue shot.

Skookumchuck
09-08-2011, 09:20 PM
interesting site they have some good stuff. That hitch may work I am going to check locally for a lunete as I have a pindle hitch on a reciever that was in the back of the shop.

SafeAirOne
09-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Along the lines of the lock and roll hitch, there's the Oz Hitch (http://ozhitch.com/)...

SafeAirOne
09-08-2011, 10:18 PM
...Or the CoupleMate (http://www.couplemate.com/c251.html).

Triumphdaytona2007
09-08-2011, 10:22 PM
I love your trailer Triumphdaytona2007 - let's see a tongue shot.

heres the tongue shot! this is when i first made the trailer it now has a steel army box up front to hold tools, its a fixed pintle on the trailer and i have a rotating pintle on the rover, also i used a rover axle so the spares for the rover will fit the trailer

Skookumchuck
09-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Here is the hitch I found in the back of the shop. It looks like I can just unbolt it and bolt directly to the rear cross member on the Rover. Now to find a lunete.:D I also took a picture of the cut off tounge which has some info on the manufacturer, not enought to make out thought.

LaneRover
09-09-2011, 02:55 PM
heres the tongue shot! this is when i first made the trailer it now has a steel army box up front to hold tools, its a fixed pintle on the trailer and i have a rotating pintle on the rover, also i used a rover axle so the spares for the rover will fit the trailer

That is a sweet little trailer you've made!

Brent

JimCT
09-10-2011, 09:21 AM
The 3/4 ton is ususally behind the RR, the 1/4 ton Canadian M101 works great behind the ambulance.

derekchace
09-10-2011, 10:09 AM
JimCT you ever going to bring that ambulance up to the British Invasion in Stowe VT so I can see it? I have been thinking about getting one for a while.

On the trailer front. If people want Sankey trailers I will most likely be shipping a couple over in the next few months. Will have prices within the next month.

JimCT
09-10-2011, 10:37 AM
We may, but are building a three bay garage at the moment. You ever go to the winter romp? we should make it this year.

ThorH
09-10-2011, 12:01 PM
X2 on the Lock-n-Roll. Had one on a trailer I built for behind a TJ Jeep. Great coupler!