PDA

View Full Version : POR miscalculation

kwd509
09-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Got this great idea that by using two different colors of primer and topcoat it would be easy to see where I need to work. This is after I had already done POR15 paint tests (with black primer and black topcoat), which worked fine on some small parts.

Working on the frame from rear to just before bulkhead.....degreased and acid etched the frame yesterday and painted today. Primer is pretty nice to work with.

My idea worked well except for one thing. With the primer a gray color instead of black, the amount of black topcoat needed to cover it was dramatically increased (and finicky) ,such that I didn;t have nearly enough topcoat! Now I have a nice, but two-tone frame. Not what I intended (can't seem to upload photos at present). The primer doesn't actually need to be covered, except that it discolors when exposed to light. I realized the shortfall in time to go and paint the back bumper.

Paint requires 50F or more, so my window for addressing this may close soon. We will see. It might have to wait. If the welding repairs of the firewall can be done soon (welder comes to look this week) then it may allow time for another POR purchase (for firewall and the additional topcoat to finish the frame). Not really a big deal but a disappointment that it didn't play out as planned..

This rover business is a real soap opera.
any suggestions?

stonefox
09-12-2011, 04:56 AM
Why not buy more paint and do it right while you are at it ?

kwd509
09-12-2011, 07:33 AM
Yes, I will almost certainly do so. I was using the forum to simply complain. But the lapse is mine.

But on the plus side there is still considerable painting/por to do, so no major issue.

JackIIA
09-12-2011, 02:37 PM
If I remember correctly, you can use any paint over the POR15. I'm guessing the primer you're talking about is gray POR15. Yeah, you're right it's UV sensitive, but you probably don't have to hit it with Black Kote. You can just paint over it with anything. It's already sealed your frame. Hitting it with another POR15 product (Chassis Black or Black Kote) just gives it more protection. Not a bad thing, but if you're worried about the $$$, take the other route.

I'd personally bite the bullet and use the whole 'system', at least I am for my fuel tanks. But I'm a superstitous one.

kwd509
09-12-2011, 03:07 PM
JackIIA-
hit nail on the head.
by this afternoon decided to purchase generic black chassis and paint over grey por15. need to get this done and move onto other things (including the POR 15 kit for the fuel tank). Whole system is generally preferred here too, but time and $ suggest this is a compromise that won't be too problematic.
Thanks for confirming this option.