PDA

View Full Version : Instrument panel wiring diagram - SIII

crankin
09-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Does anyone have the wiring diagram to the instrument panel? Or pictures. I am not sure how I found it in the past...but i think I have some wires plugged in wrong on the switches.

I find all the info in the GB...but page after page...etc. I just didn't know if there is one page with all the info.

NEVERMIND...
Found it. My illegal copy of the GB was wrong.

siii8873
09-13-2011, 07:48 PM
I do not know how to attach a link. But if you go to the electrical tab on series ii,iia,iii there is a wiring diagram available at the top.
I have a personal one I created when rebuilding a siii I can send you if you send me your email.
Which switches are you having trouble with?

OOps, just checked, it's under Series II,IIA,III,Electrical tab, dashboard tab

crankin
09-13-2011, 08:13 PM
I do not know how to attach a link. But if you go to the electrical tab on series ii,iia,iii there is a wiring diagram available at the top.
I have a personal one I created when rebuilding a siii I can send you if you send me your email.
Which switches are you having trouble with?

I am trying to wire up the dome light...and the solid purple that goes into 7...I have no idea where that wire is coming from (indicator switch)?

I have:
1 - Red/Black
4 - Red/White
7- Purple (indicator switch purple?...I thought this goes into the fuseblock?) Currently nothign plugged in...because I am not sure what purple they are talking about
8 - Purple/White

But...the dome light only comes on when I have the headlamps on.

On the light switch I have:
1- Red/Black
4- Brown
7- Red
8- Blue

What's wrong here? This is a new wiring harness..so, nothing has been spliced or cut out.

siii8873
09-13-2011, 09:25 PM
your wiring matches the info I documented when I unwired my truck. I think you are correct that the purple wire goes to the indicator stalk. I think it feeds the intermittant headlight high beam when you pull the stalk.
This also confuses me as to what feeds the interior lamp (never completed my hook up of interior light)
I did a continuity check of one of these switches. The following terminals have continuity in the three switch positions

Switch up/off terminals 1,6,7
Switch middle terminals 1,4,6,7
Switch down terminals 1,4,7,8

The panel switch is energized through terminal 1 when light switch is in middle or down position. (light switch's source is terminal 4)

If this is correct the interior light should work when the light switch is in the middle or down position and panel light switch is in down position.

Not having hooked mine up this would mean that the interion light would not work with the light switch up/off. Does not make sense to me and has interested my curiosity enough I'm going to check thos out tomorrow. I'll post what I find out. It's a land rover so maybe it is that way.
Anyone know if this is true?

Do not know if this helps or not.

Bob

PS; I have not found a wiring diagram that matches my SIII. Some parts of the IIA match better and some parts of the SIII do. None that I have seen show both switches.

SafeAirOne
09-13-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm going to change my ignition switch within the next week. While I'm in there, I'll have a look at my properly functioning setup.

crankin
09-13-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm going to change my ignition switch within the next week. While I'm in there, I'll have a look at my properly functioning setup.

A saint you are!

SafeAirOne
09-13-2011, 10:18 PM
A saint you are!

You wouldn't think so if you heard some of the things I expect to scream during that ignition switch changeout.

siii8873
09-14-2011, 03:37 PM
well I can't tell from my interior light feed. It needs further investigation, no power in any positions.

Mark,
does your interior light work with the light switch in off position? I do see on SIIA wiring diagram that the interior light for them is directly wired to a fuse. Is your truck a SIII?

SafeAirOne
09-14-2011, 03:59 PM
well I can't tell from my interior light feed. It needs further investigation, no power in any positions.

Mark,
does your interior light work with the light switch in off position? I do see on SIIA wiring diagram that the interior light for them is directly wired to a fuse. Is your truck a SIII?

Yes--Nothing needs to be on to activate the dome light. And yes, '73 SIII 109.

SafeAirOne
09-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Just had a peek. Here''s what I got. Presumably the black tracers are the power wires (R/B from main light switch, P/B always hot):

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6191/6148459256_a10c6ac2c7_z.jpg

crankin
09-14-2011, 06:32 PM
That Purple/Black might be my problem. I don't have that wire.

I wonder if its coming off the fuse block?

siii8873
09-14-2011, 08:00 PM
I think I know where my logic fell apart. I checked a RN catalog and the two switches (light and panel) are not the same switch, different part numbers. Correct switches?
I think your wires on the switch are correct, they match what I had on my SIII and what the green bible shows for wire colors and connections.