PDA

View Full Version : 64 early SII ignition switch operations

4flattires
09-13-2011, 08:33 PM
So, fresh back from the locksmith, my newly purchased yet-to-run Rover now has keys! This type of integral lock/switch concept is new to me. I was perplexed that the key does not LOCK the outer black switch from turning.

Testing with the DVOM, I am surmising that there are TWO independent operations going on here.

1. The turning of the key merely provides a electrical path for the ignition switch. It does NOT lock the lighting switch.

2. The outer knob controls headlamps only H, S, Off (is S side?) and does not lock.

Am I correct that the black knob does not lock?

LaneRover
09-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Key turns ignition on - then press knob on bulkhead under dash (sure you already know this)

Key will also turn lights on if you have gloves on at the time. Think of it as a safety device to help you see in the winter.

Key does not lock in knob or turn lights on (unless of course you're wearing gloves)

4flattires
09-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

Gloves...winter? Ha! That's the only time we DON'T need gloves here in AZ. In summer we wear gloves so the gooey tar from the steering wheel does not further flavor your sandwich at lunch.

:thumb-up:

LaneRover
09-14-2011, 05:45 AM
Very true! I have driven my 109 sw in Arizona in August before so I know of what you speak.

I've heard that an old trick for driving out there without air con is to buy a big bag of ice and throw it in the footwell! Gives you 20-40 minutes of cooler driving - maybe less in a Rover that leaks everywhere . . .

jac04
09-14-2011, 07:16 AM
... and the great thing about that set up is the ability to crank the engine via the starter with the ignition off. After sitting a while, I would always crank to get oil pressure before turning on the ignition.

TeriAnn
09-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

Gloves...winter? Ha! That's the only time we DON'T need gloves here in AZ. In summer we wear gloves so the gooey tar from the steering wheel does not further flavor your sandwich at lunch.

That's funny. I live in Arizona too and during the hottest part of summer it is usually high 80's and seldom over 90. Come August and into September it rains more days than not.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Images/grSNOW.jpg

This is a picture of my Land Rover sitting in my driveway in the winter. I can assure you that gloves come in very handy as well as my Kodiak heater and Defender door seals. At the end of last winter I installed new seat pads & covers. I choose the heated seat option.

Anyway, yes they are two independent switches in one.

The keyed inner switch is just an on-off switch. for switched 12V. the outer light switch is electrically seperate and operates key on or off. The 'S' stands for side. What us Americans refer to as parking lights.

Something you need to be aware of: The ignition switch can not reliably carry more than 13-14 amps of current long term and these switches are VERY expensive to replace with a new one. Series electrics are pretty minimal and except for the relay controlled heated windscreens do not carry a lot of power. Go hanging lots of aux. lighting or other high power stuff off the lighting & ignition circuits and you will likely find yourself shopping for a switch after a few years.

If you are going to run axillary lighting or high power headlamps off the light switch, add relays so the light switch only switches the relays.

If you want to add lots of electric accessories to your switched 12V source, add a relay. After replacing 4 or 5 ignition switches I did some rewiring. Now all my ignition switch does is turn on a big constant duty relay which in turns handles my kodiak heater, radios, heated windscreens, heated seats and more.

Also, if you need different keys to unlock doors and the ignition you can buy multiple locks that take the same key. The only thing you can not rekey is a lift gate that goes with a tailgate. You can rekey all the doors & ignition to the same key.

I have a web page (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/ignSW.htm) that explains how to remove and install a lock in this switch.

If you have not, you might consider joining the Arizona Land Rover club. They are 99% located down South in the Southern desert