PDA

View Full Version : Custom headliner question

John O from Jersey
09-15-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm about to do the dense foam plus hull liner thing for my rooftop. Question for those who have done it - which adhesive spray did you use?? For the hull liner to the foam, I've settled on 3M general trim adhesive. I'm wondering what to use between the foam and the roof top. Same? 3m Super 77? 3M Super Trim Adhesive??

I just really don't want this thing sagging into my head 5 years down the road.

Any tips appreciated.

Thx!!!!!

luckyjoe
09-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Pliobond-20 or Pliobond-25 contact cement. You can brush this on. There are higher temp versions, but they are more viscous and do not spread well.

redmondrover
09-15-2011, 10:36 PM
I did this same project on my wife's 109 in early 2010. The place where I bought the hull liner and closed cell foam said that the 3M spray adhesive was the same as the adhesive used to glue laminate countertops down and that you could get a gallon for about the same price as one spray can. That is the route I went and it worked well. In hindsight, I would have used spray adhesive to bond the hull liner to the foam because painting and rolling the adhesive onto the hull liner resulted in bleed through and large globs that could not be easily spread. So far, no sagging.

There is a detailed write up with pictures at the blog I kept: redmondrover.blogspot.com

siii8873
09-16-2011, 05:21 AM
I used contact cement on mine. Has not sagged.