PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Overdrive

cetesse
09-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Subject says it all. Looking to buy an overdrive for 1983 Series III 109" with 2.25L petrol engine, stock transmission and transfer case with Salisbury on the rear.

(BTW if I need one is there a rebuild kit for these?)

Sincerely,
Chris

jac04
09-15-2011, 11:08 AM
You have a few options for overdrives.
Here is a popular overdrive. I just bought one:
http://www.roverdrives.com/

cetesse
09-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Hi, how did you buy it from Roverdrive? Just email the Yahoo address in Canada?

How long did it take to install? And did you have to remove any flooring or could you do everything from down below?
Sincerely,
Chris

Jim-ME
09-15-2011, 11:28 AM
There currently is a Roverdrive for $1200 as a buy it now on Ebay. You won't get a better price on a new OD.
Jim

stonefox
09-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Hi, how did you buy it from Roverdrive? Just email the Yahoo address in Canada?

How long did it take to install? And did you have to remove any flooring or could you do everything from down below?
Sincerely,
Chris
You shouldn't have to pull any floor panels.At least when my overdrive went in , most of the access was under the center seat hatch.Although ,mine is a Fairey ,I cant speak for the Roverdrive installation.

SalemRover
09-15-2011, 04:57 PM
You shouldn't have to pull any floor panels.At least when my overdrive went in , most of the access was under the center seat hatch.Although ,mine is a Fairey ,I cant speak for the Roverdrive installation.

If you have to pull the floor boards to install the overdrive then I can assure you that you are in possession of a rare custom linkage designed by one Ruth Goldberg. Please send along pics of that ; )

Moose
09-15-2011, 05:56 PM
I just installed a Roverdrive a couple weeks ago. All access is from below or through the centre seat. You do not have to take out the floors. The instructions say about 2 hours but mine took closer to three. Not as easy an instal as the Fairey but not difficult. You do need to separate the Roverdive housing a bit and there are some be careful warnings about dialoging some of the internal components, but I had no trouble. Just go slow and keep rereading the instructions.

Oh, and I bought mine via eBay. Was cheaper then buy direct.

It's a very nice unit.

Brett

jac04
09-15-2011, 06:13 PM
There currently is a Roverdrive for $1200 as a buy it now on Ebay. You won't get a better price on a new OD.
Jim
Got a link? I just checked and didn't find anything.
Last I knew, they sold the previous version Roverdrive on ebay to clear out inventory before switching to the newest version.

Moose
09-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Mine is the latest version, the SS. I had been waiting for that model to be listed.

Brett

Jim-ME
09-16-2011, 03:52 AM
The listing is gone. The unit must have been sold.
Jim

Lord Icon
09-16-2011, 07:07 AM
I just installed my new to me fairey od. I bought it from ebay.co.uk.....320 quid including shipping. Fairey can be rebuilt from parts from rovers down south, he owns the biz now. Buy the parts from him and labour is included.
My install went well including the 2 inch hole in the tunnel for the access handle. I used it for the first long haul yesterday. 4 1/2 houes up to the British Invasion. If you come up I have pictures.
I looked into the roverdrive but the cost was too much. Fairey makes a good unit but it is said that you should use it for 3rd and 4th only. So far I love it and the added speed on the highway and better gas mpg is great..... Now if I only had 5 more hp to get up those long hills of VT....
Kris

Donnie
09-16-2011, 07:13 PM
You have a few options for overdrives.
Here is a popular overdrive. I just bought one:
http://www.roverdrives.com/
Does anyone know what planetary set they are using in the Roverdrive ??donnie

jac04
09-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Does anyone know what planetary set they are using in the Roverdrive ??donnie
It's based on a North American truck automatic transmission according to Roverdrive. I guess you could e-mail Ray and ask him, but I wouldn't expect him to give away all his secrets.

TeriAnn
09-17-2011, 08:35 AM
A quick overview:

As far as I know there are 3 different overdrives currently available for Series trucks. Manufacturers of all 3 ship internationally. All the overdrives belong increase the stock ratio about 28% plus or minus 1 percent or less. All can be used in any gear and fit any 88 or 109 gearbox except the One Ton model. Roverdrive has a version for Defenders.

Fairey Overdrive (http://www.faireyoverdrive.com) - An oldie from the 1970's but still a goodie for 2.25L engines. Rovers Down South owns the original tooling and sells new overdrives and replacement parts for existing units. It has its own oil reservoir. The secret to keep them going long term is to check oil level frequently and replace oil when you replace engine oil.

Roverdrive (http://www.roverdrives.com) - A Canadian company what wholesales overdrives to several retailers & frequently sells units via ebay. Ray has been refining this product over the years, making it better and better. It shares oil with the transfercase so frequently check transfercase levels using the handy dandy dip stick that comes with the unit.

HST SuperDrive (Santana Overdrive) (http://www.heystee-automotive.com/parts/drvline/overdrive.htm) - Santana designed an overdrive in the early 1980s to stand up to their 3.4L six cylinder diesel engines. These were discontinued & the tooling destroyed after Santana changed hands in the 1990s. Paul Heystee copied the Santana overdrive. All the moving parts are identical to the original Santana unit except for some changes to the casing to enable oil level checks and extended breather fitting. Since all the moving parts are identical to the original Santana design, they can be used to fix old original Santana overdrives when parts wear out.

I know some people who are using these overdrives behind high horsepower Chevy V8s with great reliable success. Last time I looked, Timm Cooper has one in his Series I hot rod.

Hestee Automotive is based in the Netherlands and sells internationally.

Or if you prefer a 5 speed to an overdrive,

Ashcroft Transmissions (http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=83) Has kits to adapt either an LT77 or R380 to a Series Land Rover.

Ashcroft, of course is the manufacturer of the common high ratio transfercase (http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=43) that provides a high range ratio very close to that of the 3.54:1 ring and pinion gears while leaving the low range gearing stock. These transfercases are great for Series trucks that have had higher powered engine swaps, but are too much gearing for stock LR engines to push in the hills. I have one behind my Ford 302 V8 in my 109. 65 MPH @ 2650 RPM while retaining a 52:1 low range first gear.

NC_Mule
09-20-2011, 10:10 PM
So after 2 years of Rover ownership and several long distance trips I was ready to get a overdrive. This thread triggered some research and in spite of sounding like an idiot I will say that I already had a Fairey installed. The previous owner told me the lever worked the PTO function of the transmission. I can only assume he never knew he had a overdrive either.
I remember playing with it and decided to leave the lever in the back position because it was a little quieter. I went to the Fairey website and after looking at a picture of one I ran outside and confirmed what I learned. I drained the oil and refilled with fresh EP90 and took it out for a spin. It's exactly what I needed. The hill going into town is too steep for 4th but not steep enough for 3rd so 3.5 is perfect. I'm pumped.
pb

Terrys
09-21-2011, 04:55 AM
So after 2 years of Rover ownership and several long distance trips I was ready to get a overdrive. This thread triggered some research and in spite of sounding like an idiot I will say that I already had a Fairey installed. The previous owner told me the lever worked the PTO function of the transmission. I can only assume he never knew he had a overdrive either.
I remember playing with it and decided to leave the lever in the back position because it was a little quieter. I went to the Fairey website and after looking at a picture of one I ran outside and confirmed what I learned. I drained the oil and refilled with fresh EP90 and took it out for a spin. It's exactly what I needed. The hill going into town is too steep for 4th but not steep enough for 3rd so 3.5 is perfect. I'm pumped.
pb
The PO didn't know the truck had OD, and you've had it 2 years and didn't know either? If this is the first time you've been under there in 2 years, you'd better get back under and check the transmission and TC have oil.

LaneRover
09-21-2011, 05:28 AM
pb

Thats like putting on your winter coat for the first time in the fall and finding a $20! I also agree with Terry . . .

SafeAirOne
09-21-2011, 06:15 AM
I just checked under mine--No luck. :(

:D

stonefox
09-21-2011, 06:25 AM
This got me thinking that I better look around my truck a little more as well......Turns out my rough running petro was really a 200tdi.:eek: Whodathunkit:D

stomper
09-21-2011, 06:30 AM
This is like christmas! I just found out I have a PTO winch on the front of mine! I always wondered what that thing was!:D No wonder everyone was looking at me like I was crazy at the winter romp when I asked for a tow.

NC_Mule
09-21-2011, 09:19 AM
I was hoping this find would trigger a laugh, it made me laugh.
I've been under the truck a ton but think about it, if you've never owned a Rover and no one else in town has one and you've never seen someones elses up close and the previous owner told me wrong how would you know that that box on the back of the transfer case does something. It has a 4 or 5 bolt cover on the back of it so I always assumed you took that cover off and slid the PTO driveshaft in.
May be it's a sign I should head north and check out one of those Rover romps, who knows what I might learn.
pb

SafeAirOne
09-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Don't sweat it--everyone's just having fun with you ;). Be happy--It's just as if you found $1200 lying on the ground!

stomper
09-21-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm sorry for making a joke at your expense Mule, but trust me, I am laughing with you, not at you. It did trigger a laugh for me, but trust me, I spent about 6 months with my rover, before I realized that I had a few things too. P.O.s tend to leave a few things out when they give you the rundown of the vehicle, and other P.O.s don't even know what their vehicles have on them. they just know it starts with this button, and if it doesn't, I have it towed to this garage.

My P.O. said their was something wrong with the front end, and it wouldn't engage 4WD. I looked at the locking hubs, and the locks were pointed to free. He never saw the writing on the free wheel hub in the 6 years he owned the vehicle. I locked the hubs, and the 4WD system worked fine.

jac04
09-21-2011, 11:15 AM
It's just as if you found $1200 lying on the ground!
...or bolted to the back of the transfer case...

NC_Mule
09-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Trust me I was expecting to be poked at, had to have someone else laugh with me. They are great little vehicles, I prefer to travel by motorcycle but when I can't the Mule is my favorite alternative.
pb

SalemRover
09-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Great read and great find. Now that you have a Fairey make sure bearings are of the mithril variant. You dont want any fairey overdrive with mere steel bearings.

Congrats!

Jason

stonefox
09-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Your a good sport Mule! Anyone that can take shots over the bow from us clowns and come up smiling deserves a spot here.
You definately want to get in there and check that oil in that overdrive asap :thumb-up: I was told that the synthetic was the best to use in the overdrive......OH no!!! I may have just started a slug fest between the SynOil and the Dino juice camps. I think Jason (I leak oil) said it best ,"just put some thing slippery in it" its not a sports car.:D

Terrys
09-23-2011, 10:08 AM
I've got a Fairey, freshly gone through. New shims to bring the endfloat back into spec. New Clutch, replaced input shaft with a fresh one, so spline fit to new clutch is excellent. New gasket, and all linkage. $850 plus shipping.