PDA

View Full Version : AUTO

chrismccarthy
09-18-2011, 03:16 PM
A friend commented that my truck seemed to be running very low (gear). I just pruchased an XD, 83K miles, pretty good shape overall, but the previous owner is/was untrustworthy. I have receipts from Bobby Rahal dealership in PA, but they don't mention anything about the transmission; it does mention a checkpoint review, though that review was not included.
Having no experience with the auto-trans, i'm wondering if this is a telltale sign of looming failure? The truck shifts at the drop of a hat, no sloppy engagement (unlike my first marriage)...I can't 'step on it' because the tires are in need of replacing, and the brakes fade (hoping this is new pads, as the reciepts point to brake work completed at a new price $1-1.5K).
Any thoughts are welcome.
cmc

joshua.mcguoirk
09-22-2011, 05:34 AM
What exactly do you mean by: "... seems to be running very low"?

A friend commented that my truck seemed to be running very low (gear). I just pruchased an XD, 83K miles, pretty good shape overall, but the previous owner is/was untrustworthy. I have receipts from Bobby Rahal dealership in PA, but they don't mention anything about the transmission; it does mention a checkpoint review, though that review was not included.
Having no experience with the auto-trans, i'm wondering if this is a telltale sign of looming failure? The truck shifts at the drop of a hat, no sloppy engagement (unlike my first marriage)...I can't 'step on it' because the tires are in need of replacing, and the brakes fade (hoping this is new pads, as the reciepts point to brake work completed at a new price $1-1.5K).
Any thoughts are welcome.
cmc

chrismccarthy
09-22-2011, 09:38 AM
what i mean is the low gear IS LOW...in my old Scout, i didn't even shift (manually) into 1st it was too low. But this auto is already there. Is this normal for these trucks? If not, then is this the first sign of repair needed?

joshua.mcguoirk
09-24-2011, 05:11 AM
what i mean is the low gear IS LOW...in my old Scout, i didn't even shift (manually) into 1st it was too low. But this auto is already there. Is this normal for these trucks? If not, then is this the first sign of repair needed?

I have a '96 D1, auto transmission too. Under normal driving with the gear box in HIGH and the diff un-locked... the vehicle switches from 1st to 2nd quite readily. Should I decide to floor the accelerator from a stop... the vehicle will stay in first longer building up the RPM's before switching to 2nd. I've had no transmission trouble. I've owned the vehicle >7 years. Additionally, I have a Detroit Tru-Trac in the front diff and a Detroit locker in the rear diff and am still averaging 11.8 MPG city driving.

NOTE: I complete the recommended transmission oil and filter every 30K with Mobile 1 Synthetic. A bit overkill - I know. I have nearly 180K on the odometer with the original drive-train.