PDA

View Full Version : Series Gearbox questions

slorocco
09-18-2011, 10:49 PM
I purchased a replacement used gearbox for my series III 88" and started the swap this weeknd but ran into a snag. The gearbox/t-case came out of a Series III 109 with a 6cyl. Apparently the bell housings are different. The holes in the bellhousing are not in the right place to bolt up to the motor. :( So, heres my question. Are there any other differences I need to know about? Can I simply swap bell housings and bolt it in or are there other differences that would cause a problem?

SafeAirOne
09-19-2011, 06:09 AM
Can I simply swap bell housings and bolt it in or are there other differences that would cause a problem?

Yes, swap bellhousings and you'll be all set (providing the clutch actuators are the same type).

slorocco
09-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Thanks Mark, the clutch slave cyl looks to be about the same, I'll double check that to make sure.

Dan

SafeAirOne
09-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks Mark, the clutch slave cyl looks to be about the same, I'll double check that to make sure.

Dan

It'd be obvious if it was the older style as it uses an inelegant frankenstien mechanism to actuate the clutch as opposed to the simple, clean slave cyilinder mounted to the bellhousing of the later style.

luckyjoe
09-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Now-now Mark, you're just a bit sensitive after that ignition switch set screw...

SafeAirOne
09-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Now-now Mark, you're just a bit sensitive after that ignition switch set screw...

.:D.

slorocco
09-19-2011, 11:00 AM
It'd be obvious if it was the older style as it uses an inelegant frankenstien mechanism to actuate the clutch as opposed to the simple, clean slave cyilinder mounted to the bellhousing of the later style.

Ok, I got it. I'm familiar with both and this is definitely the later style. I thought you were referring to something else being different between the 4 cyl and 6 cyl versions.