PDA

View Full Version : Vacum leaks and timing question,

Billy5
09-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Hello again my friends. So, I am tinkering around ( cant stop it), with my engine. Two questions. The first is the timing. I see in my green book three pointers. 6,3, and zero, from left to right. On my engine i see two distinct pointers. So when I set the timing, I assume the first mark ( the slope portion which forms a point) is 6 degrees, the the large pointer is 3.. I set the timing on the slope point. It runs fine no pinging etc. Then I went to the carb. Weber, 32/36. My adjustments were way off the specs as far as mixture to get it to smooth out. So, under advisement of a carb guy, I pinched off the the vac feed to the booster. With that, the engine smoothed out, and the popping sound from the tailpipe went away. Took the pilers off the hose and it came back. So, my thinking is the booster has an internal vacuum leak. Am I correct in this thinking? If so, are these rebuildable? Or am i better off finding a new unit. Also, I know that I am sure I will have to retune the engine once the big leak is fixed, as I am sure nothing will be right after. Thank you for your advice!

bkreutz
09-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Theoretically you can rebuild the booster, personally I'd just replace it (or leave the clamp on the hose and go with manual brakes, lot cheaper that way.:D)

Billy5
09-20-2011, 08:58 PM
I do believe I will be replacing.:D I had the thing two months, and I am already buying new stuff..lol. But hey its 40 plus years old. Funny I never suspected a leak there. My brakes seemed fine, and then the popping didnt bother me either as I always read about how others do it, so I thought it was normal. So my Rover lessons continue, I am so glad I joined the club.