PDA

View Full Version : working forward from the rear pinion

kwd509
09-21-2011, 08:07 PM
IN the slow repair of my 64 2a I have now learned how to replace a universal joint (wasn't too bad), and am just about to rebuild the transmission brake. After that things seem to get more dicy in that I am intimidated by the gearbox/transfer case-(which has been pulled). I was first advised to do the output shafts, as they will leak when the long-dormant vehicle runs again. From there it got quickly more complicated as I was also advised: "read about output shaft preload first. The common gearbox leaks are output seals,pan gasket,selector seals and dust cover on transfer shafts. Preload, as outlined in the green bible is another section that sounds like witchcraft. and the other seals/gaskets seem to be a growing list. And add to that the suggestion that I change the rear engine seal while I'm at it.
The green bible while invaluable is admirably supplemented by advice, reassurance, I get here.....

Or should I simply FREAK OUT?

I Leak Oil
09-22-2011, 02:37 PM
You won't have to worry about resetting any output shaft preload if you're simply replacing the seals. Seals are easy. It's learning to live with them leaking shortly after being replaced that's the hard part.:thumb-up: