PDA

View Full Version : Small stuff....minor questions before reassembly...

knac1234
09-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Hello all,

End of next week, will be starting reassembly of the Rover (and hopefully finishing!).

Few things I could not locate parts-wise, even through PA Blanchard and a few others.....please advise what you have successfully used or done or I'll wing it!!!

-Foam square seals, heater dist box to bulkhead and bulkhead to dash......any particular product "right" for that?

-Reinstalling the clutch and brake pedal assemblies.....what seal should be used to prevent water leaking in? The old stuff looked a little like the windscreen glazing material RN sold me.

-Similar issue....on the passenger side bulkhead, there were 2 cover plates where the pedal assemblies would go on a RHD truck.....any product I should use when reinstalling them to prevent water ingress?

-Windscreen glass into the frame.....I have the RN product for that.....any adhesive needed or just that stripping?

-How much hydraulic fluid should I get to refill and bleed both the clutch and brakes?

-The seat box, floor panels, tunnel panel, etc... had again some kind of stripping (like the RN windscreen stuff) along the edges. Necessary? Right thing to use?

Thanks for all the input. I've taken off 7 days in a row from work, and plan on doing 10-12 hour days. Doing it at my workplace's maintenance garage, so I have access to power tools...should be able to get it well on its way.

Regards,
Julian

SafeAirOne
09-22-2011, 07:50 AM
-Foam square seals, heater dist box to bulkhead and bulkhead to dash......any particular product "right" for that?

Home Depot or Lowe's sells sheets of 1/8" thick black foam rubber insulating pads in their plumbing department. It is made of the same material as the foam rubber pipe insulating sections (the rubbery ones that go around pipes, not the plastic-y ones). It's been a few years since I got some, but it works great.

-Similar issue....on the passenger side bulkhead, there were 2 cover plates where the pedal assemblies would go on a RHD truck.....any product I should use when reinstalling them to prevent water ingress?

I'd use the same as above.

-How much hydraulic fluid should I get to refill and bleed both the clutch and brakes?

Too much is better than not enough. Pep Boys sells the reformulated Castrol LMA in quart bottles.

jac04
09-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Places sell gaskets for where the pedal boxes bolt to the bulkhead. I bought some, but they were very stiff and didin't look like they would seal well, so I didn't use them.

The material used by the factory for the pedal boxes, seat box, floor boards, etc. appeared to be strip caulking. I used 3m Strip Calk http://3mcollision.com/3m-strip-calk-08578-black.html on all these seams, but you can pick up grey Frost King strip caulking at HD or Lowes. Don't use the butyl tape. It is just too strong and will make any future disassembly difficult.

For the cover plates, it looked like the factory used seam sealer on my Lightweight, but I used the 3M Strip Calk for those as well.

For the windshiled, I have always just used the butyl tape from RN. Make sure everything is really clean first. Also do a 'dry' test-fit. I found that the latest stuff from RN was thinner than the stuff I bought many years ago. I actually had to use a double layer to get it to seal properly.

Jim-ME
09-22-2011, 10:25 AM
I have one of the foam seals with as best I can tell is PN# 346701. It is surplus to my needs. I saw one either on Ebay or EbayUK. Check both and see if you can find it.
Jim

knac1234
09-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks all as always!

Jac--I looked up the strip caulking.....60 strips/box....any idea how many boxes you bought?

Mark--Will check out Lowes Monday.......50 miles from me!

Jim--PM sent.....

Cheers,
Julian

jac04
09-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Jac--I looked up the strip caulking.....60 strips/box....any idea how many boxes you bought?

One box, and I used less than 1/2 of it. When you're not filling a large gap, you can stretch the strips out to about 2x their original length.

SafeAirOne
09-22-2011, 02:17 PM

Julian--50 miles?? Unless you're taking the wagon in to town to pick up some dry goods at the general store anyhow, let me just check the Lowe's 3 miles from my house to make sure--It's been 5 years since I bought it and I'm pretty sure I got it at Home Depot.

knac1234
09-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks Mark.....the closest Home Depot and Lowes to me are between 40 and 50 miles!!! Colorado Springs!

Jac....great, 1 box might work then.

Julian

printjunky
09-22-2011, 03:42 PM
I need to replace that same heater foam seal myself and have some of that foam that everyone recommended, but for the pedal boxes and other thru-bulhead (and in my case floor, door, seat box, tunnel, rear bulkhead ....) openings I usually use silicone. I buy full tubes of outdoor clear used in things like house window installs and sealing glass block, etc. What used to be on mine appeared to be butyl - or maybe body shop body panel sealer (also a bit of something harder than cured silicone), which as Jeff said, is a BEAR to get off.

For the hydraulics, I'd get at least 2 of the large (32oz?) bottles for a full fill/flush/bleed. If it's also a 50-mile drive, get 3 just to be safe!

No experience on a windshield. Yet.

Skeeball
09-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Julian:
have 2 lowes and a HD very close to me. if you want I will stop by and get a sheet of that stuff and send it to ya
Butyl tape is the only thing you need for the windscreen dont use anything else with it.Make sure that your glass does not touch any metal esp in the corners..
Let me know if I can help
Steve

SafeAirOne
09-22-2011, 09:16 PM

I stopped by my local Lowe's on the way home tonight--I didn't see the stuff I was talking about. I also didn't see any employees anywhere to ask, so I just left, slightly peeved.

Anyhow, I'm certain that I got it at Home Depot. I'll try to swing by and check there.

knac1234
09-23-2011, 09:42 AM
You guys are great.....thanks so much for the offers for help!

If you have a part # or description at HD that would work fine. Every Monday, I drive down to the Springs to meet with my employer at her home. So I try to run a couple of errands while there!! This Monday will pick up powdercoating and check out the heater core fit to the clean housing. Also found the strip caulking near to her house, so that will take care of one thing. If someone identifies the foam substitute item, that will work too.

Thinking about it last night, I have weather stripping used around household doors and windows....would that work (sticky on one side)?

Mark.....hear you on no staff. I worked for 15 years in the grocery business managing a high volume store. Way of the world.....labor cut to non-existant levels and impossible productivity/service standards as a result. One of the reasons I quit! Well that plus the 2003 labor strike that lasted 3 months.....

Regards,
Julian

Skeeball
09-28-2011, 04:36 PM
OK did some detective work when I stopped at HD earlier today.
They do Have that stuff on rolls 1/8" thick x30 linear feet and costs about $8.00
NOW... the manufacturer ARMACELL has a website and on there you will see that it looks like it is indeed available in wide rolls or sheets... They also offer that in hi temp uv resistant as well...
Google for the exact website they are located in Mebane, NC
let me know how you make out OR if you want the 2" roll I can get that for you
Rgds
Steve

SafeAirOne
09-28-2011, 05:13 PM
I just looked Armacell up on the HomeDepot website--It looks like they don't supply it in 8x10 (or something like that) sheets anymore, but that's the material I referred to.

Skeeball
09-28-2011, 06:06 PM
I would deal direct with the company there is a picture of the wide stuff on their webpage

knac1234
09-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Steve and Mark,

Thanks again.

Well, I have to make the trip to Denver Friday to pick up all the galvanizing that is done, a few bits of powdercoated things, and will stop at Home Depot also. I will end up going with as close as you describe product wise as possible. I am still thinking that perhaps that foam weatherstripping (which may be what you are referring to) in rolls will be adequate and easy to work with.

In any case, I am taking this Sunday through the next Sunday off work and will be working 12 hour days to reassemble as much as humanly possible, so everything must be staged and ready to go, including the foam :D

Will keep you posted. Hoping by this Sunday the engine will be painted in-situ, and all other bits that were not powder coated painted also so that Monday I can move!!!

Cheers,
Julian