PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel

Winemark
09-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Hello all,
the wheel in my series has lost its finish and when it is super humid out my hands actually get brown from the deteriorating wheel. Has anyone here ever refinished a wheel? Any advice would be welcome

luckyjoe
09-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Get a leather steering wheel cover from Pangolin 4x4 (http://pangolin4x4.com/Accessories.html).

Apis Mellifera
09-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Mine did the same thing. I wiped it down with acetone and then spray painted it. It looked as good as new. I've since wrapped it with black para-cord for traction.

CMorris
09-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Strip it, dry it, buy some PC7 two part epoxy to fill damaged areas, lots of elbow grease to smooth out the PC7, SEM self-etching primer, then find a local body shop that would be willing to throw it in there booth........BMW Jet Black paint is the nicest I've used so far. The bakelite will continue to degrade over time, you'll get some cracking at stress points........but it should look good for the rest of our lifetimes.

Winemark
09-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Strip it, dry it, buy some PC7 two part epoxy to fill damaged areas, lots of elbow grease to smooth out the PC7, SEM self-etching primer, then find a local body shop that would be willing to throw it in there booth........BMW Jet Black paint is the nicest I've used so far. The bakelite will continue to degrade over time, you'll get some cracking at stress points........but it should look good for the rest of our lifetimes.
great pictures and great result, sharp!

stomper
09-27-2011, 05:55 AM
I just put on a new leather steering wheel cover from Ike. My wheel had one on it that the prior owner put on after the wheel was refinished. The old cover was cracked and worn through in the common places where you place your hands.

The leather cover fits tight, and looks like it belongs there. it is sewn onto the steering wheel, which takes about an hour to do yourself. I highly recommed going this route. You won't be disappointed.

Winemark
09-27-2011, 07:20 AM
I will probably contact ike as I need somethign else from him. leather looks sharp when it is that tight

I just put on a new leather steering wheel cover from Ike. My wheel had one on it that the prior owner put on after the wheel was refinished. The old cover was cracked and worn through in the common places where you place your hands.

The leather cover fits tight, and looks like it belongs there. it is sewn onto the steering wheel, which takes about an hour to do yourself. I highly recommed going this route. You won't be disappointed.

artpeck
09-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Mine is a. S3 wheel so different but it was smudging off looked pretty nasty although not cracked. I used steel wool and very fine sandpaper and got it smooth and got some eggshell finish all surface (for plastic etc) rattle can paint. It looks new and has help up like new.

stomper
09-27-2011, 08:44 AM
I picked up a reciever hitch from Ike at the same time. That's another great piece of kit you may want to consider. Looks sharp, and is a much better design than the original hitch that came on them from the dealers.