PDA

View Full Version : Series III Clutch problems

xrunnr
09-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Ok, I have been doing a frame off restoration of a '74 109 for the past year. Last December 2010 the engine was pulled out together with the transmission. In June 2011 the engine together with the transmission went back on the chassis.

I now have everything back together but I am having clutch problems. If you depress the clutch it goes straight to the floor without any effort (you can push it with one finger) and also you are unable to shift out of neutral into any gear. I thought it was the master cylinder and the slave so I replaced both with brand new parts but I am still having the same problem. I set up the new master cylinder exactly like the old one so I don't think the problem is there. I have bleed it 3 times and there is no air in the line. I am running out of things to check.

If anyone has an idea for what my next step should be I would appreciate it.

Thanks

LaneRover
09-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Is there something unconnected or broken in the mechanical linkage? Either from the pedal to the Master or from the slave cylinder to the actuating rod or one of the pins that goes from the rod into the bellhousing?

Brent

Ncrover725
09-26-2011, 05:18 PM
My rover was not that bad but definitely had issues. With the help of a Rover Whisperer we adjust the linkage under the hood and below the Rover. It took adjusting both points to get her good to go. Once it was adjusted I have had zero issues since.

SafeAirOne
09-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Forgive me for asking the obvious, but are all the parts back in (fricton and pressure plate, throwout bearing, etc)?

Was the throwout arm properly clipped onto its swivel ball?

Was the slave rod seated in the throwout arm?

All that's left are 3 things:

Air in the line,

Bad Master,

Bad Slave.

..or a REALLY bad flex line. That's 4 things left...

xrunnr
09-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I am starting to narrow it down.

I started at the pedal and worked my way down. The pedal is working, the master cylinder is pushing fluid, there is not air in the line and the slave seams to be working. When I took the engine and transmission out I just disconnected the line from the slave clutch and left it attached. Everything such as friction and pressure plate, throwout bearing, etc were never removed so I didn't think that would be the problem but now it seams like pulling the bell housing will have to be my next step unfortunately.

Thanks for the help.

SafeAirOne
09-27-2011, 12:16 PM
You can check most of the bellhousing stuff by removing the slave to see if the arm is in the proper spot and pivoting correctly, and through the inspection cover in front of the shift lever tower. Might need an inspection mirror.

Les Parker
09-27-2011, 01:05 PM
If you are in area where there is humidity, the clutch friction disc may have frozen to the flywheel.
Not an uncommon event for vehicles that have sttod for some time.

There is some good threads on how to get the clutch to release if that is the case.

SafeAirOne
09-27-2011, 01:13 PM
I'd expect that he'd still get the same forceful pedal feel as the system actuates the pressure plate. I figure if he can press the pedal down to the floor with his fingers, the pressure plate can't possibly be relaeasing.

xrunnr
09-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the inspection cover I will check that next. I had removed the slave but couldn't see everything.

I am in Alabama so humidity could most definitely be the problem as well. I will check the other threads on it.

jac04
09-28-2011, 09:51 AM
I had removed the slave but couldn't see everything.
Did you find the push rod that SafeAirOne talked about? It should be clipped into the arm and it must be properly positioned into the slave cylinder at reassembly. My bet is the arm was moved such that the rod came out of the slave. Then when you pressed the clutch the slave cylinder wasn't pushing against anything.