PDA

View Full Version : Exmoor acoustic matting

Ncrover725
09-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I am curious if any of you guys have any experience with the exmoor acoustic matting. Getting it purchased and shipped is approximately 750.00 which is pretty steep. Is it worth the extra 600.00 over a good set of insulated marts and a tunnel cover?

mrdoiron
09-26-2011, 09:28 PM
I am curious if any of you guys have any experience with the exmoor acoustic matting. Getting it purchased and shipped is approximately 750.00 which is pretty steep. Is it worth the extra 600.00 over a good set of insulated marts and a tunnel cover?

Not sure what exactly you want to achieve here, but if it is noise deadening, get "Dynamat", and stick to areas to cover, then put tunnel cover and matts over... For stereo installs, most use that to deaden tinny vibrations, and improve sound quality etc.

You can google several sources, or ebay... videos on Youtube on how to install.

mike

rejeep
09-26-2011, 09:37 PM
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10895&highlight=Acoustic+matting

Ncrover725
09-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Rejeep: I saw that one posting and the photos looked great. I saw the exmoor intallation video online and it looked pretty easy to install. I was looking for a comparison between the exmoor moulding and good matts+tunnel cover regarding heat and noise. That's a lot of cash to drop if it is only a little more effective.

rejeep
09-27-2011, 07:24 AM
its a good chunk of change...
but its also nice when things are worth their weight in value...

artpeck
09-27-2011, 08:23 AM
I just finished installing it. Something of a pain to do so given you have to cut in a few spots. And all the mounting hardware for the seats has to be changed as well and you lose access to the under seat storage unless you cut out and compromise the matting. Having said that the different in noise and vibration is very noticeable. Haven't driven the truck far enough to assess heat etc yet but I am sure that will also be a big difference. It is worth it? Very subjective but it does make a noticeable difference.

I did a bare metal restore and paint underneath on all surfaces as well but if you were not up to that you could also use it to domestically improve the look of the cab area.

Ncrover725
09-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Artpeck: Great information. With both my fuel tanks under the front seats I will have to cut that out. I have no drama with that. Once question I do have is access to the Tranny and Overdrive. I normally (weekly) add fluid to my Overdrive and every two weeks to the tranny. I do this through the access area under the middle seat for the overdrive and through the tunnel for the tranny. How do you perform up keep on your drivetrain? Did you cut out those portions or top off your fluids from below the truck?

rejeep
09-27-2011, 10:28 AM
ill snap a few pictures of mine today and post them up..
I DID cut a portion of the center seat so I can do my top off and maint..
but I found for the driver and passenger seat access its jsut as easy to flip the corners of the mat up and bungee them out of the way..
it does require to remove the outermost seat rail, but I replaced the but and bolt combo with nutserts (jack nuts) so I do it with a screw gun..

artpeck
09-27-2011, 11:16 AM
The tunnel cover piece is what goes on last so I suppose you could pretty easily take that out to access the tranny. Mine doesnt materially leak (shocking I know) so replacing fluids isnt a regular issue and when I do I do it from underneath with a pump that goes into to gallon jug and the fill hole. $7 from napa and makes it super easy, measures the quantity and is very clean.

No way I would cut anything more than absolutely necessary as it will compromise the benefits and it a pita to cut. Witness the almost healed gash in my index finger from the Stanley razor knife.

FYI essential cutting is for the parking brake and around the accelerator pedal. Any other cutting is optional.

transalpian
09-27-2011, 12:25 PM
FYI essential cutting is for the parking brake and around the accelerator pedal. Any other cutting is optional.

And for your overdrive selector... which can get rather ugly unless you get creative.

rejeep
09-27-2011, 12:42 PM
hole saw...