PDA

View Full Version : Engine replacement

mrupstate
09-27-2011, 05:17 AM
What would one expect to pay for a complete engine with transmission out of a 2a? All I really need is the motor, seems I have something wrong with mine making a loud chattering noise at higher RPMs that gets worse and presents itself at lower RPM's as the motor gets warmer. 2 rear main seals in a week, not doing a third.

Purchasing a used motor, what should I expect to pay? I have located one just want to make sure the price is right before going this route.

SalemRover
09-27-2011, 06:23 AM
The value of that driveline can swing a great deal depending on what sort of work/parts went into it. I think you need to learn more details about the engine / driveline before a decent ballpark number can be arrived at.

mrupstate
09-27-2011, 07:58 AM
It was removed from a running 2a a few years back for a v8 swap, it does have a fairy(sp) overdrive installed on it, I don't need the trans of the overdrive. Just the motor. The fellow who has it told me it was in the way and I could take it for $500.

He wanted me to make an offer and I didn't know enough to do so. He asked me if $500 sounded fair and I said seems fair.

I would like to sell the OD unit off it to recoup my expense.

LaneRover
09-27-2011, 08:46 AM
If the overdrive is in good shape that motor will be 'free'

stomper
09-27-2011, 08:49 AM
if the overdrive is in good condition, that alone is worth over $500. I would say that is a very fair price. Do you already have an overdrive? Why would you not install it on your own truck?

mrupstate
09-27-2011, 09:18 AM
i already have a Rocky Mountain OD installed. I suspected I could sell the OD just didn't know what a fair price was.

stomper
09-27-2011, 10:05 AM
I've seen prices around $800 for a solid OD tossed around. I have one, and am not following the market of what they are going for though.