PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Range Rover Classic idle questions

pathsh
04-24-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm new to this but my 88 won't idle when it is gear most of the time and when it does it is idling at 400 rpms. When it's in park it idles fine. Does anybody have any ideas? I've been chasing this problem for about two months.

TSR53
04-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Start with setting the Air gap and Base Idle.

Air Gap Setting
1. To set the air gap you will have to remove the distributor cap, rotor arm, and the dust cover by removing three screws. (Be careful not to drop the dust cover screws, they are real small and you won't be able to find them).

2. Set your feeler gauge, which must be non-magnetic (most people use brass or plastic) to .010.

3. On the distributor shaft you will notice what looks like a wagon wheel. Turn the engine by hand until one of the wagon wheel spokes aligns with the eye of the pick-up mounted to the distributor base plate.

4. Insert the feeler gauge. Does it feel loose? If yes, loosen the two screws holding the pick-up screws and reassemble the distributor.

Base Idle
1. Ok, now for the base idle. First, at the top of the throttle body you will notice a small round plug. If not already removed, you will need to drill a small hole in the center of the plug. Once the hole is drilled, insert a small screw into the hole. Using a pair of needle nose pliers between the screw head and plug, pry the plug out of the throttle body. With the plug removed you will notice an allen head screw.

2. Before we mess with the screw, find the black hose connected to the side of the throttle housing to the rear of the plenum. Disconnect this hose and plug at both ends.

3. Start the engine, and with the proper allen wrench adjust the idle RPM by turning the screw clockwise to decrease RPMs or counter clockwise to increase RPM. The base idle should be set at 525 +/- 25 rev/min.

4. Once this is done, turn the engine off, unplug and reinstall the hose. Now you should set your timing to 6˚ +/- 1˚ BTDC.

5. The last thing to do is replace the tamper proof plug (part # RNM109 (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-3632-tamper-plug-idle-speed-.aspx)) this is the one you removed to set the base idle.

There you go! You have completed what should be part of your tune-up every time you do it.

pathsh
04-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks. I'll give that a try.