PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler removal

2manykids4a7
09-28-2011, 03:08 PM
In order to replace the head gasket (see head gasket thread) I am removing the grill (not necessary I know, but as well as doing the repair I am taking the time to get to know more of my rover). I have the radiator out and before I take out the oil cooler I thought I would solicit any advice people may have. Is it as straight forward as drain the oil and then take it out? (Then simply put it back in and refill when I am done). Or are there any other little things I need to be aware of? I don't have a military specific manual and couldn't find anything other than the pros of cons of oil coolers when searching the forum. My rover is a 1975 Series III 109 FFR.

Thanks, Steve..

scatterling
09-28-2011, 04:06 PM
It is pretty straight forward. Should bolt to the frame and to the breakfast ( at least mine did) Even if you drain all the oil there might still be some in the cooler and line to the oil filter - little messy. Any reason why you are removing the cooler?

2manykids4a7
09-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks. I don't mind the mess, I just wanted to make sure that there aren't any little pitfalls that I could walk into and damage something. I'm doing the head gasket (which I am chronicling in another thread) and I'm giving myself a lot of room to get at the engine (I'm taking a wing off too). I know it is overkill but this is my get acquainted with my rover experience so I don't mind doing it, I just want to make sure I don't screw anything up in the process!

luckyjoe
09-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Disconnect the cooler at the inlet and outlet, and leave the lines in place. Plug both openings with shop towek so nothing crawls inside, and less chance you'll spill it all over yourself when you move it next week.

Also, on the SIII set-up, you have the pressure relief valve in the feed line going to the lower cooler port. This acts like an anti drain back as well. So, the cooler will likely still be full of oil even after you drain the sump. Just be aware and have something ready to catch/re-direct the oil when you crack the lower cooler fitting...

2manykids4a7
09-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks Tom.

I haven't taken it out yet and before I do I wondered if I was shooting myself in the foot for later on, when I want to work on the head. Am I going to want oil in the engine later when I take the head off? Are there circumstances that could arise where taking the oil cooler (as part of the grill) out, while giving me more room to work, is actually going to hurt more than help?

I will post the question in the head gasket thread too.

As always any advice is most welcome.

2manykids4a7
10-03-2011, 06:43 PM
I had some time over the weekend and took it out without any major problems. There was some oil in it but it was by no means full. Should this be of concern to me?

I had hoped to take out the section of pipe leading to the top of the cooler from the bottom of the engine but the nut at the bottom is being really stubborn. It is soaking in PB Blaster right now. Any ideas on getting it off other than more force? It is the one shown here.

http://thumb15.webshots.net/t/84/84/7/19/35/2693719350074709635hLxlgF_th.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2693719350074709635hLxlgF)

You can just about see the other end of the pipe (that is floating in mid air) in front of the top pulley (with fan removed) shown here.

http://thumb15.webshots.net/t/84/84/2/20/94/2243220940074709635UiOyfO_th.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2243220940074709635UiOyfO)

jac04
10-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Any ideas on getting it off other than more force? It is the one shown here.
A little heat might help.

2manykids4a7
10-04-2011, 08:30 AM
jac04. I have worked on vehicles before with a friend who was a plumber by trade and whenever he needed to he would pull out his little blow torch heat up the bolt and presto out it came. Never did it myself and foolishly never asked him to give me a quick lesson. I don't have a torch but I'm guessing a small one isn't too pricey. Maybe this would be a good addition to my toolbox? I have to admit being a novice does make me a little nervous the whole mix of an open flame in close proximity to flammable liquids and gases!

2manykids4a7
10-11-2011, 01:48 PM
I bought a torch and used it successfully to get some stubborn bolts loose and remove the wing. I tried it here and wasn't able to get it. I was able to remove the bracket and then detach the line at the oil pan. Maybe with it out completely I will be able to undo it. I realize that it isn't necessary but it sure would give me some satisfaction!