PDA

View Full Version : New Distributor Options

sven
04-24-2007, 08:55 PM
It looks like my old dome style distributor has bitten the dust. So my options are either the 45D or the Ducellier. Is one better than the other?

Chris McKnight
04-24-2007, 11:14 PM
There's also the electronic distributor from Disco Tech (http://www.disco-tech.ca/distributors/). I've never known anyone that has one, but perhaps someone else could chime in?

Otherwise, I'd go with the 45D, simply because they're pretty common as these things go, and they seem to tick away just fine. Might even add a Pertronix electronic kit to it, the consensus seems to be that the Pertronix works well and requires little maintenance. I've had no experience with the Ducellier personally.

Chris

BackInA88
04-25-2007, 04:58 AM
I have one from Disco Tech and it is nice. :D
Got it off E-bay from them for about $90, they are doing mostly "buy it now" last time I looked at around a $140 I believe.
Just dropped it in. plugged it up and set timing.
I have been running it about 6 months.

jp-
04-25-2007, 02:20 PM
I have a Disco-Tech distributor also and it works well. This topic has come up before. Look back through the old threads.

sven
04-26-2007, 08:34 AM
The Discotech one is now 150 plus shipping. And what happens if the module dies....can you screw in a set of points? Where do you get a replacement module?

singingcamel
04-26-2007, 08:58 AM
sven,
would go with the 45d for the reason you just mentioned..
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)
how do you like your series by now?

Jim-ME
04-26-2007, 12:26 PM
I also have a Discotech distributor and am very happy with it but I didn't part with my old distributor so that I have a replacement if necessary. I am not one bit concerned about it dying. Why do some people worry about such things if they don't own one. Do they have a bad history?

sven
04-26-2007, 01:52 PM
I cant use my distributor as a spare, the body cracked where the clamp is. So I bought a regular 45d and pertronix module for under $200. I'll keep the original points as a spare incase the pertronix dies.

I probably would have went for the DT one if it were still $70. Oh well.

greenmeanie
04-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Just to add to the confusion I run the Ducellier on my '71 IIa and it works well. Convert it over to electronic ignition as the original points are a pain to set up properly due to a poorly desiged L-bracket being used to set the gap. At the time I was looking the Ducellier was cheaper and more available which was my only deciding factor. Its now got about 100K on it and still going strong.

If you must stay with points the Lucas design is probably better although I have never had one.

Jeff Aronson
04-27-2007, 10:56 AM
When my II-A's distributor picked up a shaft wobble so wild that the car would not run, I bought a "new style" Lucas distributor. I've now had it on my Rover since 1995 and for over 100,000 miles. There is no shaft movement and point/condenser replacement is about twice a year. I'm sure they'd last longer if necessary.

Points rarely "die" unless you ingore all the signs of poor starting, rough running, etc. that accompany points wearing out. Stick with them - they can usually be cleaned and re-gapped without removing them from the car in any emergency. I've had enough experience with previous owners and their electronic ignitions in my Land Rovers and Triumphs.

Jeff

jp-
04-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Jeff,

I seem to remember reading in the RN Newsletter about a string of points and condensor failures that you had.

As for the reliability of electronic ignition systems, I have a 91 Montero with 280,000 miles. Original distributor, modulator, and coil.

If the reliability of my new Series electronic ignition proves to be less than expected, have no doubt that I will return to the points system. But why not give EI a chance?