PDA

View Full Version : Hazards of working on the rover

artpeck
10-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Due to travel and other things the truck had been stationary in the carport for a couple of weeks. I was underneath it reaching up to tighten nuts on the seat rails and out of the corner of my eye notice a white blob dangling under the truck. It was probably something primal that triggered a cautionary closer look that revealed a beautiful and large female black widow guarding her egg sack.

Needless to say she and her progeny were dispatched to the next life.

Going forward I will look a little closer before sticking my hands into dark spaces on the truck.

RoverForm
10-01-2011, 12:53 PM
can't stand those things. i always have to check dark corners and spaces when i'm working around the garage and house. they are everywhere and are dispatched on site. a nice quick little shot of neuro toxin does the trick.

i've been having an issue with these over the summer, but luckily not in the rover.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6155/6201132260_7efd3bb3c3.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6171/6200620745_c7600c9fb1.jpg

O'Brien
10-01-2011, 02:16 PM
summer before last I got bit by a pretty large and nasty black widow about the size of an american quater. was sitting in a lawn chair in my backyard talking to my sister on the phone. Felt a little something on my arm, looked, and watched it bite me before i could brush it off. Got me on my bicep just below my shoulder. triggered about an hour or two of flop sweat, nervous feelings, shakiness, gnarly joint pain and muscle spasms but over all nothing terrible. i think there are less than 8 deaths a year from black widow bites, mostly tiny kids and really old folks.

thankfully, my sister who i was on the phone with is a doctor. she checked her physicians desk reference and told me to grab a really cold beer, ice the bite, then just relax :gulp::gulp:

rover03
10-01-2011, 07:15 PM
thankfully, my sister who i was on the phone with is a doctor. she checked her physicians desk reference and told me to grab a really cold beer, ice the bite, then just relax :gulp::gulp:

If only ALL docs could provide such sage advice!

cedryck
10-03-2011, 12:08 PM
OK I'll bite,
Other hazards include,
Bloody knuckles, angry wife, garage floor looks and smells like 90W, angry motorists behind your truck, being called a Jeep.
Perks include,
happy UPS driver, happy credit card company, happy puppies (love going for,rides in funny square truck), and the joy of being part of a classic heritage.

Jim-ME
10-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Very well said and all too true.
Jim

cedryck
10-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Thank you Jim.
Cheers.