PDA

View Full Version : Series 2A front brake cylinder leaking

Skookumchuck
10-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Well I was driving out to the range last night to do some shooting and when I went to slow down to turn the pedel went to the floor and the Rover kept going. Long story short got it home and the inside of the front passenger tire was covered in brake fluid. this morning I took off the tire and drum but noticed that my brake set up uses 2 brake wheel cylinders not one. the bottom cylinder is leaking from the piston the top is ok. I need to rebuild the cylinders but the local parts store is looking at 6-8 weeks delivery for a rebuild kit. Should I rebuild the cylinders or just replace them?

jac04
10-01-2011, 02:10 PM
The 11" front brakes use 2 cylinders - one top & one bottom. I suggest just replacing them unless the bores are perfect. Since you need to bleed the system, just replace both cylinders. If the shoes are saturated with brake fluid, replace them as well. Save yourself a lot of headaches and buy either Mintex or Genuine shoes,

RN should have all the parts you need in stock.

Skookumchuck
10-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Here are some pictures of the Brake set up it is different than what is in my manual.

SafeAirOne
10-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Here are some pictures of the Brake set up it is different than what is in my manual.

Look under the 109 brake section. You'll see that setup there.

SalemRover
10-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Just to throw a wrench in the mix, wouldn't it be a better to have the leaking ones resleeved and then rebuilt? You will spend more 20-30$ more per cylinder but end up with a longer lasting unit. I was thinking of doing this for the next time.

Skookumchuck
10-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Why is it that your Rover always breaks down on Friday afternoon when everything is already closed and you can't even order parts until Monday?

Anyway thanks for the advice, I am going to replace all 4 front wheel cylenders as well as new shoes. I was planning to do the disc brake conversion at some time in the future. If I wasn't swaping out the gas for a 200 TDI I would do that conversion right now.

cedryck
10-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Be wise,
Brake fluid contamination, (as well as 90W) contamination can be a nusciance as well as a danger to proper braking, good advice to replace with(new)components anything contaminated with fluids that will make contact, ie: shoes, and drum. I experienced 90w contamination of a drum, and braking was quite scary, I mean seriously grabbing brakes.

o2batsea
10-03-2011, 05:37 PM
So long as you have the drum off, go ahead and replace the hub seal and distance piece.
Just wash all the parts in clean brake fluid and reassemble. You'll be good.

chrismccarthy
10-04-2011, 10:01 AM
So long as you have the drum off, go ahead and replace the hub seal and distance piece.
Just wash all the parts in clean brake fluid and reassemble. You'll be good.
I'm finishing my complete brake job, although very slowly. I had no leaks, just old parts that had sat for 40 years. I did not see anything about replacing the front seal and what is the 'distance piece'?

SafeAirOne
10-04-2011, 01:23 PM
what is the 'distance piece'?

That metal ring that the hub seal seals around and the inner wheel bearing sits against.