PDA

View Full Version : Slipping out of gear going downhill

factive
10-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Have only noticed this in 2nd gear while going down steep hills... but it seems to slip out of gear, almost as if it's in neutral except it isn't. It's still in gear position. Have to engage clutch, shift out into neutral and back into gear and then seems to work fine again.

Any ideas?

I Leak Oil
10-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Just so it's clear, the transmission is going into neutral but he shifter lever is staying in second?

factive
10-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Yes, or at least feels like it's going into neutral as it starts coasting.

cedryck
10-05-2011, 10:25 AM
your jumps out of second, mine jumps out of third gear, upon deaccelaration only. Interesting!

artpeck
10-05-2011, 12:15 PM
I was having similar issues as well as "losing" gears and not being able to shift into third from second. Or second from third. Finally traced it to the break down of the ball at the end of the shifter that enforces the accuracy of the shifter in the gates. This would allow many things to happen including a gear not being fully engaged despite the position of the shifter and seeming to short out of one gear while the gear was actually still engaged (which was why I was losing gears). May not be your issue but I solved mine by getting a piece of high temperature tubing and press fitting it over the end of the shifter where the ball used to be. This size was perfect and it not registers in the gates very accurately and shifting is perfect and no more popping out of gear or lost gears. There is also the chance of severe mechanical wear in the transmission. Not my area of expertise so I won't offer an opinion.

I Leak Oil
10-05-2011, 03:26 PM
A couple easy things to check are the shifter ball as was mentioned and the detent balls/springs for shift forks. If they are sticky, weak springs or broken springs this could allow it to jump out of gear. If the shifter is worn, broken or obstructed that could cause it not to go into gear completely. If those checks pan out then check the nut on the back of the main shaft. If it's loose it can allow the main shaft to walk back and forth causing it to jump out of gear. Other than those items you probably would need to open up the box and have a look at the internals.

cedryck
10-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Hello gents.
Does our host offer the proper elements that is supposed to sit on the end of the shift lever? Would "beading" the end with a Mig unit build up enough surface area to meet the dimensions of what is supposed to be there? Just curious,,Thanks,

Terrys
10-06-2011, 04:00 PM
popping out of gear can be the shifter ball, but popping out on deceleration isn't unusual. Pull the plate off the back of the TC and check that the mainshaft nut is tight. If it is, grab the gear and see if you can move it in or out. If there's any fore and aft movement, that's the problem.