PDA

View Full Version : Broken stud from transfer box

sandythelandy
10-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Has anyone ever broken a stud off of their transfer boxes when they were replacing their transfer box plate? I just did! After spending hours changing the plate, gasket, and most other fluids in the landy, I thought I saw a drip forming on one of the studs/nuts so I went to tighten t and it snapped off. Good news is it wasn't leaking...

So what now??? It isn't leaking at all and I put plenty of Hylomar on it when I put the new gasket on. Do you all think the rest of the nuts and the hylomar will hold the plate on? Do you all think it will start leaking when it heats up?

Not a good result for my first attempt at working on my landy!

Skeeball
10-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Hard tellin not knowin...Change it out and do it right it will save you aggrevation later if something happens far from home

Max(SD)
10-04-2011, 08:47 PM
How do you change it out? Does it tap out? My Rover leaks at the transfer case and I have noticed one bolt missing.

sandythelandy
10-04-2011, 09:27 PM
I'd like to know that too. I haven't taken the plate back off (will probably wait until it starts leaking again) but it looks like the stud was a clean break below the plate which would make it pretty hard to get out. I filled the hole with Hylomar just as a last ditch effort!