PDA

View Full Version : Dead Starter?

canyonero
10-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Hello all,
My '73 Ex-Mod won't start most days. With the key in the ignition the green light comes on, but once the key turns all I hear is a dull click coming from the other side of the fire wall. So I'm wondering, could it JUST be the starter solenoid, or is the clicking the solenoid working properly and the starter not turning. I haven't done much to investigate, but I'm about to head out and try to clean up some of the wiring contacts, any other tips or ideas?
Thanks

stomper
10-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Start my making sure you have a good contact and wires are not corroded, and the ground strap on the starter is good as well. you can apply a jumper to the starter from the battery, to bypass the selenoid momentarily. if the starter turns over strong, then your starter is not the issue.

canyonero
10-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the tip, I was also wondering if it could be the ignition coil?

slorocco
10-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Doesn't sound like the coil. If it were just the coil that was bad the starter motor would still turn the engine, it just wouldn't start.

SafeAirOne
10-05-2011, 03:26 PM
I wouuld start by putting jumper cables on it for a few minutes (with a running vehicle attached to the other end) and see if it turns over. It could be just a dead battery.

rwollschlager
10-05-2011, 10:36 PM
also try giving the starter a good whack and then try the key again, or have someone turn the key while you whack it, if that works then you're starter is on the way out or it needs to be cleaned up a bit.

-Rob

73series88
10-06-2011, 07:20 AM
before i had my gearreduction starter i had all sorts of trouble with my starter. i added a ground strap strat from the battery and it made all the difference. eventually i got the g r starter because the old one burned up.
best thing i ever bought for my rover.
aaron

LR Max
10-06-2011, 08:17 AM
before i had my gearreduction starter i had all sorts of trouble with my starter. i added a ground strap strat from the battery and it made all the difference. eventually i got the g r starter because the old one burned up.
best thing i ever bought for my rover.
aaron

X2. Added an extra engine ground strap and a mean grean starter. No issues now.

@canyonero, if you have a hi-lift handle, you can easily stick that through the wheel well and knock on the starter. Easier than crawling up under there with a hammer, especially if you are in your non-work clothes.

cedryck
10-06-2011, 10:57 AM
good advice to give the starter a "bump", the bendix apparatus can get lodged and not engage. (the remedy is of course remove starter and spray liberal amounts of degreaser onto working end of bendix unit).
a low battery will not spin the starter at all.

canyonero
10-06-2011, 02:59 PM
So...After lightly cleaning up contact points on the battery and starter solenoid, it started last night, twice this morning and this afternoon. It ran like a champ all day, I can't really find any consistent symptoms. Could electrical stuff be caused by sitting for too long? Anyway, thanks for all the tips and advice, I'll keep it all in mind next time I can't get home...

printjunky
10-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Not so much from sitting so long (not being run) but just from existing so long.

I have chased away virtually every non-specific electrical gremlin by, first, ensuring excellent grounding. I have two frame-to-block, tied to a starter to and three frame to body grounds (and of course the battery to frame/block). And all grounds were wire wheeled or sanded to bare metal before attachment.

After that, it's on to checking and improving any connections. This is more for assorted electrics (lights and stuff) but even ignition electrics get corroded and loose over time. Clean 'em up (wire wheel on a cordless) and using star washers, seems to help. For some light circuits, I've had a batch of failing four-way Lucas connectors recently. Yet to be permenantly solved.

Shawn

NickDawson
10-07-2011, 11:10 AM
So...After lightly cleaning up contact points on the battery and starter solenoid, it started last night, twice this morning and this afternoon. It ran like a champ all day, I can't really find any consistent symptoms. Could electrical stuff be caused by sitting for too long? Anyway, thanks for all the tips and advice, I'll keep it all in mind next time I can't get home...

Glad you got it going!
As printjunky suggested - lots of stuff just seems to fail from existing for too long.