PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild overdrive vs. Going with a Roverdrive

LR Max
10-06-2011, 08:53 AM
So I've been going back and forth, haven't made a decision yet. My current overdrive (Fairey unit) is in shambles. Screams, leaks and I cannot downshift while the vehicle is moving. So basically, gotta check the oil every week, wear earplugs and once I shift into overdrive, I'm commited.

In another thread, people are saying they got their overdrives rebuilt for ~$300. This is more appealing than the ~$1500 price tag for a roverdrive. However I'm wondering if this is one of those "get what you pay for" deals. I don't mind dropping the extra coin up front to have higher quality. Also in the back of my mind I hear stories about the old Fairey units breaking. This doesn't help the agrument for the Fairey.

Does anyone else have any input?

rejeep
10-06-2011, 09:05 AM
ROVERDRIVE!!!!

was the first thing I did when I got my Series..
actually, the roverdrive was in my garage long before the truck even got home..

SafeAirOne
10-06-2011, 09:22 AM
The Fairey will be rebuilt by Rovers Down South, the current manufacturer of the Fairey unit so you know it will be done properly.

I'm going to guess that the $300 figure was pulled out of thin air. It could be $10, it could be $1000. You can't possibly know till you send the unit in for evaluation.

I Leak Oil
10-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Max, I'm in a similar situation and will probably go with the Roverdrive. I bought my superwinch made Fairey in 94' brand new, had RDS go through it a (rebuild) a few years ago and now it needs it again. I'm ready to try something else.

superstator
10-06-2011, 12:44 PM
I sent a Fairey to RDS for rebuilding, and apparently the case was worn such that he couldn't do anything with it. It ended up not even being worth shipping the parts back. Unless you're very sure that the Fairey is a good rebuild candidate (and it doesn't sound like it is), I wouldn't bother.

Firemanshort
10-06-2011, 12:54 PM
See above - same thing happened to me. Albeit my OD was for an LT95 and not a series, I still obtained the same unsatisfactory result.

LR Max
10-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Well then...better scratch up them cash dollas!! Roverdrive is what it sounds like.

SafeAirOne
10-06-2011, 01:44 PM
I sent a Fairey to RDS for rebuilding, and apparently the case was worn such that he couldn't do anything with it. It ended up not even being worth shipping the parts back.

You could always sell it on Craigslist for $500. ;)

I Leak Oil
10-06-2011, 02:34 PM
You could always sell it on Craigslist for $500. ;)

You mean that's not the one?!

east high
10-06-2011, 02:39 PM
I sent a Fairey to RDS for rebuilding, and apparently the case was worn such that he couldn't do anything with it. It ended up not even being worth shipping the parts back. Unless you're very sure that the Fairey is a good rebuild candidate (and it doesn't sound like it is), I wouldn't bother.

Same here.

Donnie
10-06-2011, 05:58 PM
So I've been going back and forth, haven't made a decision yet. My current overdrive (Fairey unit) is in shambles. Screams, leaks and I cannot downshift while the vehicle is moving. So basically, gotta check the oil every week, wear earplugs and once I shift into overdrive, I'm commited.

In another thread, people are saying they got their overdrives rebuilt for ~$300. This is more appealing than the ~$1500 price tag for a roverdrive. However I'm wondering if this is one of those "get what you pay for" deals. I don't mind dropping the extra coin up front to have higher quality. Also in the back of my mind I hear stories about the old Fairey units breaking. This doesn't help the agrument for the Fairey.

Does anyone else have any input?
I can't help U choose what to buy, but I have bought several "not worth saving" Faireys over the years, some for the price of a HAM sandwich..And out of 4 used units I have built 2 good ones W/O buying any new parts...It is hard to understand what some people will scrap.I am running one in my 6cly 109 wagen now for about 4 years & the other one I traded to a friend for a couple of VW diesels....And he loves it...If you have any that are not worth the return freight..contact me........Donnie

tmckeon88
10-08-2011, 06:54 AM
Echoing the recommendation for the Roverdrive. It is quieter and smoother than my old Fairey, and the they have good customer service. Worth the money.

Tom