PDA

View Full Version : Studs come out-dumb question

kwd509
10-08-2011, 09:45 AM
From time to time, and somethimes very very often, (as is the case with the gearbox/transfer case) the studs come right out when I try to remove the nut. This happened on the bell housing, pinion housing and now on the transfer case sump cover. I expect this to be a continuing pattern.

At first glance it would appear that I could simply screw them back in using the nut as a bolt head...... But does this allow me to get proper fit and torque.....? I write this knowing it may be a stupid question, but I submit this ready to accept advise and/or whatever else comes.
Thanks.

sandythelandy
10-08-2011, 01:29 PM
I'd also like to know the answer to this as all my studs came out too on my transfercase sump cover. I just put them back in after cleaning everything and replacing the gasket. I did however, break one mid-way up the sump plate so I'm just hoping it doesn't start to leak again...my wife won't be pleased if I need to spend more time and money fixing it...again.

westcoastkevin
10-08-2011, 02:37 PM
I'd also like to know the answer to this as all my studs came out too on my transfercase sump cover. I just put them back in after cleaning everything and replacing the gasket. I did however, break one mid-way up the sump plate so I'm just hoping it doesn't start to leak again...my wife won't be pleased if I need to spend more time and money fixing it...again.

Well.... at this point, seeing as you own a Land Rover, your wife will be displeased on a regular basis. You might want to invest in countermeasures, such as, oh I don't know, pedicures by the hundred!!!

Apis Mellifera
10-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Ideally you'd remove the nut, thread the stud in, and then put the nut on. You could use the nut to thread the stud in and assuming the stud threads were fully engaged before AND the nut didn't move on reassembly, that would be fine. The danger is that when threading the stud/nut back in, that the stud stops and the nut tightens, leaving only a few stud threads engaged. Of course, you'd have a protruding stud in that case, so you'd know it went wrong.

Also, many times studs are used in a soft material that won't handle the shear forces of a tightening bolt (nutted stud, in this case). They are better suited to handle the clamping force of the nut tightening on a stationary stud. So, using the nutted stud as a bolt may strip the threads.

Max(SD)
10-08-2011, 05:46 PM
I also have one stud that is missing (actually not sure if its missing or broken). I plan on changing oil soon and will find out.

Where do you buy these studs, does someone have exact size (specs)? Thanks.

rrc.swb
10-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Replace the studs with new bolts.

Studs are great for manufacturing purposes... they are horrible for maintenance.

I Leak Oil
10-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Chances are you'll be fine just reinstalling them as is but why not just remove the nut, install the stud and be done with it? You already have them so you don't have to spend any money and they fit so you don't have to hunt down some silly british thread bolt for certain areas.

As was mentioned, the use of studs into softer metals such as alum. or zinc castings is normal. The constant use of a regular bolt will wear on the softer threads over time.

kwd509
10-09-2011, 08:26 AM
install the stud and be done with it? You already have them so you don't have to spend any money and they fit so you don't have to hunt down some silly british thread bolt for certain areas.

Is there a role for loctite in reinstalling stubs?
thanks

JimCT
10-09-2011, 09:44 AM
clean and degrease the studs and hole and install them with red locktite, you can always use alittle heat if you ever have to remove them. That way the nut comes off the studs and you are not wearing out the threads in the soft aluminum like you would be with a bolt.

o2batsea
10-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Studs are used to make assembly/reassembly easier than trying to line up bolts. No advantage except that they are in place waiting for you to slide the part on and apply the nuts.
If you routinely find yourself with a handful of studs when taking things apart then invest in a proper stud wrench. This grabs the stud in the area where there are no threads and allows you to torque it in place. Works sorta like a pipe wrench. Sears has them as well as most good auto supply.
With locktite applied and the stud properly torqued and you will never unscrew another.

kwd509
10-09-2011, 02:32 PM
wow, from a little question, such good info....

Jim raises another question,

, you can always use alittle heat if you ever have to remove them.

as I now realize one stub is broken....... So in preparing to insert a small ez-out I am soaking w pb bleaster......... Should I apply a little heat....?

Thanks.
Jay.

Skookumchuck
10-09-2011, 08:43 PM
I would try it first without the heat but if it is stubborn then a little heat will help, just don't over do it.