PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Muff

Ncrover725
10-08-2011, 10:51 AM
With winter approaching in a few months I was looking for knowledge on radiator muffs. I am most curious to what temperature range should they be used in and their use on longer trips. I guess the common sense approach would be to monitor your temp gauge and go from there.

msggunny
10-08-2011, 11:27 AM
With winter approaching in a few months I was looking for knowledge on radiator muffs. I am most curious to what temperature range should they be used in and their use on longer trips. I guess the common sense approach would be to monitor your temp gauge and go from there.

I used one when i was in Jacksonville, it got cold enough to affect the temp of the engine. Up here i havent had it running long enough to worry about it.....:(

Ncrover725
10-08-2011, 11:49 AM
You are talking about Camp Lejune (Jacksonville) and not Jacksonville Florida right? Im not to far from Lejune.

msggunny
10-08-2011, 02:48 PM
You are talking about Camp Lejune (Jacksonville) and not Jacksonville Florida right? Im not to far from Lejune.
Yup, Le Jeune.

In late December to early March it would get cool enough. Not sure if its because of how efficent the cooling system is or if its something else......

I Leak Oil
10-10-2011, 04:55 AM
I run mine for a couple months here in the Northeast. Usually the flaps are open, only closing them when it's in single digits or so. 20F or higher is not an issue without a muff.

Firemanshort
10-10-2011, 05:59 AM
When I drive to Maine for the Winter Romp - I always splurge on a custom made rad muff.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5219/5463795504_960b4d73fa_z.jpg

I go for a fairly large coverage area - as it is generally cold - really cold. I also keep it on for the highway trip back and forth as the high speeds and wind make it hard for the motor to stay warm.

knac1234
10-10-2011, 08:59 AM
FWIW I used mine last year. We had some days where the temp dropped as low as -20F outside. Helped a bit.....especially the heater output! Mine came with the truck, and snapped onto the breakfast via snaps around the plastic grille.

Julian

LR Max
10-10-2011, 09:39 AM
So a cardboard muff will work, but I've got the fancy one from RN and I tell ya what, it is worth it! Typically for warm up, I button it all up and the truck warms up very quickly. In ~40F weather, after about 45 minutes of driving I'll pull over and leave it about half open. Below freezing, I leave it buttoned up with no issues.

Above 50, I leave it unbuttoned so only about half of the grille is covered. This works well until the avg temp starts hovering in the mid-60s.

But really you will have to find what works for you. Sorry I can't be a better help.

msggunny
10-11-2011, 07:21 AM
I used cardboard in my SIII and my D1. The only issue is getting it out when it warms up. The muff for the SIII that is sold here looks like it would much better than just a piece of cardboard and allows you to customize the air flow.

My D1, which i havent found a muff for, had to have 1/4 of the radiator blocked for me to get decent heat in the dead of winter here. The scanguage water temp rarely got above 150 until i put the cardboard in.

Les Parker
10-11-2011, 09:18 AM
On the EFi vehicles, did you find that when a cardboard muff was used that the A/C fans kicked on, nullyfing the use of the cardboard?

:confused:

stomper
10-11-2011, 10:04 AM
I have a RoversNorth muff for my IIA, but it came with the truck, so I use it from late fall through spring. Being frugal, I would try a piece of cardboard first, and see if you like the results it provides. if it meets your expectations, then splurge on the nice canvas one, knowing that it will give you similar results, and won't be an expensive piece of kit that doesn't live up to your expectations.

o2batsea
10-11-2011, 10:43 AM
On the EFi vehicles, did you find that when a cardboard muff was used that the A/C fans kicked on, nullyfing the use of the cardboard?

not if you unplug the little devils

cedryck
10-12-2011, 09:54 AM
And of course those of us who demonstrate that Yankee heritage creative (spend less) make it with your own hands will put last saturday nights Pizza box behind the grill for the famous new england use one season throw it away radiator muff. Doesn't matter if it gets wet, snowy, grimy, or torn. It will only end up in the trash come spring. Recycle and reuse.
cheers.

bpj911
10-12-2011, 01:56 PM
And has been for a month. If it's above 80 i open it half way. :) 2.25 diesel

runs approx 85-90 C all the time

I Leak Oil
10-12-2011, 03:32 PM
And of course those of us who demonstrate that Yankee heritage creative (spend less) make it with your own hands will put last saturday nights Pizza box behind the grill for the famous new england use one season throw it away radiator muff. Doesn't matter if it gets wet, snowy, grimy, or torn. It will only end up in the trash come spring. Recycle and reuse.
cheers.

Salemrover has the best muff ever! A classic piece of NewEngland kit. Yes, that's a piece of toast from the famous Big G's! And if you get stuck in the woods you can eat it before needing to go all Donner party on your friends.

Firemanshort
10-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Nice bit of kit that Big "G's" toast!

Winemark
10-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Just ordered one from our hosts, we all owe them something for this forum after all

englandseries
10-13-2011, 07:07 AM
bobby,
You have a rovers north muff in the gear for the truck also a fume curtian it worked great here in maine, almost to good got really hot in the cab!
Any questions just holler.
Greg

stomper
10-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Shoot! I forgot that you had that fume curtain! I would have pilfered that before you sold it:D I guess you better go through the stuff you got NCRover!

Burlsube
10-13-2011, 03:15 PM
bobby,
You have a rovers north muff in the gear for the truck also a fume curtian it worked great here in maine, almost to good got really hot in the cab!
Any questions just holler.
Greg

Can the fume curtain be installed with a hard top? Or do you need the soft top hoop set?

Ncrover725
10-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Greg,
I have the muff and curtain out and ready to go. As far as the curtain and hard top I'm not sure yet. We have mild winters here compared to those in Maine. I initially fielded the question on the muff to see if I even needed it here. Our winters range from 15-50 degrees. I wanted to let you also know I rolled her on her side last Friday in a water hole I underestimated. The winch was a life saver. She took on a bit of water inside the cab but all is good. She is still my daily driver!

SafeAirOne
10-13-2011, 07:34 PM
... I rolled her on her side last Friday in a water hole I underestimated.

THAT didn't take long! :D

I guess this explains the inquiry about replacement roof rack clamps in your other post...

Ncrover725
10-13-2011, 07:49 PM
I did actually get out to access the large water hole. The pine branch measured it at around 12". What I did not take into account was the 36" deep trench running up the middle of it. As the right side of the rover went into the trench I did a slow soft roll onto her side. I am not sure if I lost a clamp there or on one of my other not so smart adventures. The only damage it truly did was to my wallet when it cost like $15 at the carwash to clean it out.

msggunny
10-14-2011, 03:50 PM

Les,

I never noticed the A/C fan kick on. I put the cardboard on the drivers side 1/4 of the radiator. Had no issues.

ybt502r
10-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Back on topic, as I'm late to respond. I had a muff from our hosts when I lived in Calgary - kept it full closed for most of the winter (-20F stuff) and the truck ran - ah - warm. Never hot, but I don't think the temp gauge would have even moved off the peg without the muff. There's still too many avenues for air to get in around the engine to generate much warmth. I only have the stock heater, so I had my toque and gloves on inside as well as outside. Thank goodness for synthetics.

LR Max
10-21-2011, 12:55 PM
So this morning it was ~40F outside. My 109, with new 4 core radiator from RN + oil cooler, no radiator muff and running for 45 minutes on the highway didn't get up to temperature.

Radiator muff time it is! Probably will install it here in the parking lot at work. That won't look odd at all.

luckyjoe
10-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Max,

T-stat stuck open? I drive basically the same thing and my temp gauge sits on 88C even when it snowing...

Max(SD)
10-22-2011, 06:10 PM
This came with my Rover, did not need it in San Diego, but now in Bend, OR, could come in handy. How does it attach to the grill. Am I missing some hardware? Or should I just zip-tie it on?

NC_Mule
10-23-2011, 11:03 AM
This came with my Rover, did not need it in San Diego, but now in Bend, OR, could come in handy. How does it attach to the grill. Am I missing some hardware? Or should I just zip-tie it on?

This is the hardware that came with my muff. Pretty sure I've seen the same thing at Lowes/Home Depot.
It's been in the upper 20's the past 2 mornings so I mounted my muff, the engine does warm up faster but the thing I like most is it stops a lot of drafts coming thru the firewall.

So I took a pic of the hardware to show you but for the life of me I can't find the "images/gallery" in my CP. I've posted pics before. Anyway, think the hardware is called a toggle bolt. It has 2 jaws that spring open, I push them thru the grill then tighten the front side so the jaw presses against the inside of the grill. I've also used the same hardware to mount shelving on a concrete block wall. The toggle bolts go thru the open eyelets on your muff. Sorry for the lack of a pic.
pb

Rat Patrol
10-23-2011, 07:40 PM
I kept mine ( arboard version) in during the winter months in Montana. It got down to -40*f one day but was typically -20 to -30. Last winter, FayetteNam (Bragg) I didn't really bother. Now that I'm back up in the frontier I'm seriously considering the RN version.

Rat Patrol
10-23-2011, 07:41 PM
I did actually get out to access the large water hole. The pine branch measured it at around 12". What I did not take into account was the 36" deep trench running up the middle of it..

Stay out of the Tank Traps:D

Skookumchuck
10-24-2011, 08:49 PM
I just put my rad muff on yesterday it came with zip ties. it has been below freezing for the last few days so I will see how it works. A short highway trip tomorrow morning will tell the tale.