PDA

View Full Version : Rough running where to start

ackrover
10-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Let me start by saying I'm new to land rovers and new to working on vehicles but I am enjoying learning. I have a 83 ex mod 109 ffr. It is running rough. I have to warm it up with the choke on for about 10 minutes before it can be driven without lurching. Once warm it has a slight back fire at idle and when down shifting. It also seems to run on the hot side. The gauge registers above the normal range but still below the red zone on the guage. I have cleaned the carb and changed the plugs which have helped but have not eliminated the problem. Any suggestions on where i should start would be much appreciated.

albersj51
10-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Id start by checking your timing. Sounds like its off...assuming its a 2.25l petrol engine.

ackrover
10-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Yes it is a 2.25 can you suggest where to look for instruction to correct the timing? Also my carb has stamped on it Solex 36IV is this the same as a Zenith 36IV?

Apis Mellifera
10-08-2011, 10:27 PM
To do it properly, you'd need a timing light, for example. There are other ways, but really you can tune it by ear.

Loosen the 7/16 nut on the clamp securing the distributor just enough so the distributor can be rotated with a little effort.

Start the engine.

Twist the distributor until you get an even exhaust note.

Drive the vehicle (distributor still loose). The engine will run with a wide range of timing, but you can make subtle adjustments (with the engine running) until you get the balance between power and no detonation.

With a worn timing chain and/or distributor, it's impossible to set it at precisely X degrees with a timing light and you can get satisfactory results without it. Some people call it "the beer method". I'd call it "the sweet tea method", regardless, basically you place a full beverage glass on the fender and adjust the distributor until the ripples in the beverage are smoothest.

That said, also check the carb (mixture). What did the plugs look like? A lean condition can produce the same symptoms - hot, needs choke, etc.

PS my SIII also needs some choke when cold for probably more than 10 minutes and it also has an occasional "glump" backfire at idle. I consider that normal for my truck. Mine doesn't run hot though.

albersj51
10-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Make sure you warm the engine before you shut it down to do the timing. Also, disconnect the vacuum advance from the carb and plug it while you time it.

martindktm
10-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Make sure you warm the engine before you shut it down to do the timing. Also, disconnect the vacuum advance from the carb and plug it while you time it.

I have a instruction Rover plate in mine and it says to keep the vaccum advance connected to time it at 6 degree.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3T-k8mkOWvQ/TjIOxkYTVtI/AAAAAAAAFAM/sU7RpmIQZhw/s800/IMG_1717.JPG