PDA

View Full Version : Land Rover vs Other Classic 4x4s

dawgvet
10-09-2011, 10:07 PM
I realize that I am speaking to an obviously biased audience here, but, as a lover of older classic 4x4s, I was wondering what made a Series Land Rover your choice of classic 4x4? I have experience with other classic 4x4s, though all were American. My first vehicle was a 1971 Chevrolet 4x4 Stepside pickup that my dad had bought new and we restored for me to drive. I spent a good part of my high school years roaming backroads in a all original 1969 Ford Bronco that had a inline 6, three-on-the-tree, and manual drum brakes. I now have a 1953 Willys Jeep that is also bone stock. Though I don't own one yet, I've always been drawn to the looks and simplicity of the Series trucks. I do have concerns about their reliability compared to other 4x4s of similar vintage, though I realize any 40 year old vehicle is going to need alot of TLC. As with most British makes, I have heard horror stories of the electricals, but also worry about an axleshaft going at the worst time as I do use my 4x4s in the woods to get to areas in the mountains to fish for trout.
I know Land Rovers are cool and any older 4x4 is going to need regular maintenance, but I worry about what it would be like to live with one on a regular, if not daily-driver, basis.
Any input appreciated,
Jed Green

LaneRover
10-10-2011, 05:33 AM
My interest in Rovers came as a result of my older brother having one for a bit and also that they came as 4 door station wagons. For some reason I really liked that you could get one as a 4 door.

As far as reliability, a friend in Maine once said, "A rover won't leave you stranded - but there is ALWAYS something to fix."

Another time I was at a parts place in LA and a guy said, "Rovers will keep driving with nothing being done to them and no maintenance - which is good when you don't have the money to work on things, of course then you have to spend a fortune to put it right again if you do let it go too long."

I have not found the electrics to be that horrid - but that is partially because the system is so simple that even I can fix it.

Lord Icon
10-10-2011, 05:41 AM
I will say , after 2 series trucks and a unimog and 3 jeeps. If I had to do it over , I would get a scout. Well made , cheap parts and big engine. Comfy seats and plenty of power and mod upgrades available...not to mention power steering.
As for the people.....
I have found the Land Rover folk to be the best, especially the series people.
I have had jeeps as well and nothing compares to the people that have Series trucks. They seem just kinda down to earth. Maybe it's a resigned kind of " This is all we have to work with, make the best of it.".. Not as much of the bigger , badder, more , taller ,mine is better than yours thing. We all seem to get along and it seems to work the world over. Ask my dad, he lives in France and he says the feeling is the same.

o2batsea
10-10-2011, 06:04 AM
I anyone here can figure out what makes people fall in love with a product, you will become one of the richest on earth as that is one of the holy grails of advertising.
As a daily driver you would be better served with a Hyundai. A Land Rover will not be comfortable, nor easy nor will it be able to run with the crowd.
However, with that understanding, something happens when you get in behind the wheel. I can't say what that is because it's buried deep inside my brain. All I can say is that I have a connection with it that a Hyundai does not give me. I guess that's what love is, really.
It boils down to the fact that this is a British interpretation of what a vehicle that has to support and transport a human in any type of traverse-able terrain looks like. Light, compact, nothing sticking out, easy to work on, utilitarian.
Compared to the American version, Jeep (from which Land Rover can trace its roots), you get a similar vibe. Is there a real difference? Not really I guess.

Maybe it's because anybody can have a Jeep, but Rovers are for those who seek the finer things in life. A trait the Brits are famous for.

amcordo
10-10-2011, 06:10 AM
I drove mine as a daily for 1.5 years (it's in pieces now), but I never had any significant issue doing that. I did get stranded once from a brake master cylinder failing, but that's an easy enough fix...

It probably has to do with how well your truck is set up in the first place. But that's what everyone on here is for - they'll tell you to look closely at the frame to make sure it's not swiss cheese (a lot of the trucks you'll find for sale now are already sitting on galvanized chassis), and if possible get one that's got salisbury axels so that you don't have to worry about the half-shafts snapping. There's even a few threads on here that list out exactly what you should have in your truck at all times to fix what will inevitably break on you at some point.

Bottom line it's not too bad in terms of breakage.

I realize that I am speaking to an obviously biased audience here, but, as a lover of older classic 4x4s, I was wondering what made a Series Land Rover your choice of classic 4x4? I have experience with other classic 4x4s, though all were American. My first vehicle was a 1971 Chevrolet 4x4 Stepside pickup that my dad had bought new and we restored for me to drive. I spent a good part of my high school years roaming backroads in a all original 1969 Ford Bronco that had a inline 6, three-on-the-tree, and manual drum brakes. I now have a 1953 Willys Jeep that is also bone stock. Though I don't own one yet, I've always been drawn to the looks and simplicity of the Series trucks. I do have concerns about their reliability compared to other 4x4s of similar vintage, though I realize any 40 year old vehicle is going to need alot of TLC. As with most British makes, I have heard horror stories of the electricals, but also worry about an axleshaft going at the worst time as I do use my 4x4s in the woods to get to areas in the mountains to fish for trout.
I know Land Rovers are cool and any older 4x4 is going to need regular maintenance, but I worry about what it would be like to live with one on a regular, if not daily-driver, basis.
Any input appreciated,
Jed Green

I Leak Oil
10-10-2011, 06:18 AM
Most rover issues, including the wiring, are owner (past or present) inflicted. Tough to compare a 70's rover to a 70's bronco considering the rover is still basically a late 40's to early 50's design.

lrdukdog
10-10-2011, 08:32 AM
From BAT http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220866434795+&viewitem=
enjoy.
Jim Wolf

lrdukdog
10-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Also from BAT it's a Rover! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280748345095+&viewitem=
Jim Wolf
I wouldn't mind having this one myself.;)

leafsprung
10-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I have had most models of vintage 4wd. My daily driver is a series one land rover. I have found the Land rover is the best mix of parts availability, resale value, corrosion resistance, strength, capability, utility, and uniqueness. Every make has its shortcomings but the land rovers are the easiest to live with.

Winemark
10-10-2011, 10:33 AM
In my case I chose a Series for a few reasons, I am a fervent Anglophile having lived in England during my college years. I saw Rovers everywhere in the countryside where I lived and always wanted one.
Secondly there is a unique history to the brand that appeals to me. They also just last so damn long, I am hardpressed to find too many Jeeps that are 46 yrs old and in the same good shape as my Rover. It is a head turning vehilce that makes people smile and wave when they see you, not too many other vehicles like that out there.

siii8873
10-10-2011, 02:27 PM
good question. I have had a 1970 bronco, 1961 CJ, 1970 scout, 1976 wagoneer and 4 land rovers. I'm personally hooked on the rover. Some of the comparisons wouldn't be fair as they all were in different condition.
I do like the fact that the rover can be taken apart / assembled without welding / simple. I have sold all my other vehicles and drive series rovers as daily driver (does help to have two drivers to maintain 100% reliability), just like driving them. Agree with the longivity also.
I would say for stock vehicles I'd take the scout for off road capability. A rover with some traction enhancement would probably be similar. I did also like the scout. It had the 4cyl, would almost climb trees and got a little over 20mpg.

bmohan55
10-10-2011, 02:40 PM
I like having a tyer on the bonnet

Billy5
10-10-2011, 06:34 PM
I asked the same thing over and over, to myself. After having mine for about three months now i can tell you the following. Any old vehicle will require work of some kind. I am always tinkering with mine, almost to a fault. But thats why I like it, i can tinker with it. I had Cj, and Fj, and I love my rover. It is unique, as you dont see alot of them ( at least by me), you can take the whole thing apart to work on it, plenty of access. Parts are fairly easy to come by. They are affordable still to get in. The Willys was the one that started it all, Fjs, and Rovers are varients of it, for their particular markets. As far as the electrical stuff, I agree it is more often POs work that messes things up. Now could they have done things a little different? Sure, thats where we come in to repair or replace. They get old. My advice is buy the best shape one you can afford. You will either pay for it up front or shortly down the road. You can find some really nice ones for 10-12 ( 88s). And yes, the tire on the hood rocks. People point at you driving down the road, most likely looking for the Rhino chasing you.:D

Partsman
10-10-2011, 06:40 PM
My first car was a 1961 series 88, that I drove for years, the one time I had a major problem was when I lost the rear drive shaft, I just stopped took it the rest of the way off, put it in the back, dropped her in 4 wheel drive and continued on my way a la front wheel drive. I now own a 1965 series 109, and this is going to be my daily driver as of the first of the year. I highly recommend them, though you have to not mind a rough ride, noisy cab, no real heat to speak of, and no back support in your seats, other than that they're great. :thumb-up: