PDA

View Full Version : Series III "TIDY UP!" - Pics and Questions!!

knac1234
10-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Hello all,

Before I start work here, I thought I'd post some pics and questions. I worked a full week....probably 85+ hours and got a long way. By the end of this coming weekend, she MIGHT be drivable, with "just" the roof and rear door to put on . Well, maybe. Powdercoated rims/new tires should be here on Wednesday....seat box Friday.....doors/tops Sunday.....

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/Land%20Rover%20Series%20III/RESTO/SANY0625.jpg

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/Land%20Rover%20Series%20III/RESTO/SANY0626.jpg
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/Land%20Rover%20Series%20III/RESTO/SANY0629.jpg

More pics at http://s334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/Land%20Rover%20Series%20III/RESTO/

So, it was a week filled with a lot of work. Started with rhino coating the tub (Herculiner). Came out real nice.....perfect for the dogs :thumb-up: Then painted the engine in-situ as it should last for quite a long time (8K miles on rebuild....with me putting on another 5K miles). Everything was out of the compartment, which made for spraying it using the Detroit Diesel Alpine Green easy. Then reassembly. All new hoses, seals, gaskets, heater core, brake booster, brake/clutch hydraulics, radiator recore, and on and on.......

Well, you can see what I've been up to.

Now for the questions:

-WINGS: I will be bolting the fenders to the wings on the bench...much easier. Can I also bolt the splash panels, steering box guard, etc.. onto the wings on the bench or must this be done on the vehicle?

-I lost the RED round plug hole on the 12V dash socket. Anyone got one I can buy?

-Any tips for installing the vent seals?

-The steering column stabilizing bracket.....any pics of how that is mounted (LHD). Forgot to take a pic....rest of the dash is done save a few wiring issues.

-Anyone have a better wiring diagram than the Haynes manual (72 SIII)? I noticed that the reverse lamp switch near the shift lever had no wires connected to it (or near it).

Cheers,
Julian

albersj51
10-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Nice work, Julian! Looks great!

How did the pastel green/paint fiasco turn out? Its hard to tell from the pics.

Jason

knac1234
10-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Jason,

Thanks!

My wife and I love the paint color. I think it is a lot closer to the pastel green than what the paint stick looked like. Who knows....it's different than the 1972 dealer brochure I have; different than the faded paint that was on it; and different than the way it was on the stick. So who's to say?! We like it and I guess that's what counts!

Cheers,
Julian

jac04
10-10-2011, 12:27 PM
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/Land%20Rover%20Series%20III/RESTO/SANY0626.jpg

-Any tips for installing the vent seals?

Yes. Don't twist the seal like that. ;)
Seriously, though, test-fit the seals without any adhesive. Some aftermarket vent seals are very firm and the vents won't close easily. You may need to shop around for the best ones you can find. IIRC, George at Rovers Down South has some nice quality vent seals. Also check with our hosts.

After you are sure they fit & work properly, glue them in with 3M weatherstripping adhesive. Follow the directions on the package. They key is to make sure that you don't stretch the seals at installation. You can use multiple pieces of blue painter's tape on the seals and bulkhead to make "witness marks" after your test-fit. When you glue the seals in place, line up the marks as you go to help ensure that you are not stretching or compressing the seals.

SafeAirOne
10-10-2011, 01:55 PM
-WINGS: I will be bolting the fenders to the wings on the bench...much easier. Can I also bolt the splash panels, steering box guard, etc.. onto the wings on the bench or must this be done on the vehicle?

Hmm...I always thought the wings WERE the fenders. If you mean the inner wing to the outer wing then yes. Do that off the vehicle. Splash guards--You can do the upper fasteners, but the lower ones also go through the footwell. The steering guard also have some that go through the footwell.

--Anyone have a better wiring diagram than the Haynes manual (72 SIII)? I noticed that the reverse lamp switch near the shift lever had no wires connected to it (or near it).

Yes. The one supplied on the top of the RN electrical parts pages is a copy of the WSM wiring diagram. I don't know if it shows a reverse lamp circuit though. I'm sure an older 90/110 WSM (widely available for download on the internet) will show a reverse lamp setup. All you'll really be looking for is the wire color codes and where the circuit gets it's power (fuse box, ignition switch or whatever...) so you can duplicate it.

siii8873
10-10-2011, 02:09 PM
The reverse switch shoud have a feed from one of the fuses a green wire which connects to one side of the switch (may come out of main harness). The rear harness should have a Green/brown wire which connects to the other side of the switch.
I never quite understand the wiring diagrams on host site. The ones I saw do not show the reverse circuit on the SIII diagram but do on the SIIA diagram. I've had a few SIII's and they all had reverse lights.
From your pics looks like your truck is blue not pastel green?
Looks fantastic!!

knac1234
10-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the tips.

RE, the reverse switch.....there was near the bottom of the main harness (down by the oil filter) a wire with nothing attached to it dangling. I attached a connector to it in case I figured that out. Its proximity to the reverse switch is making me think (hope) it may be the proper connection to the reverse lamps.

Will let you all know!

Julian

siii8873
10-10-2011, 04:35 PM
it should be a green wire that is off a switched fuse (hot when key switch is in run position)