PDA

View Full Version : Converting a 24 volt to a 12 volt

ackrover
10-15-2011, 08:42 PM
I have a 24 volt ex mod and was wondering if any one has converted there's to a 12 volt system. I contacted rn about a replacement distributer and was advised to use a 12 volt one and add a drop down box. It got me thinking maybe I should look into converting everything to 12 volts. Would I only need to change the dristubter, starter, generator and coil? Any thoughts?

Lord Icon
10-16-2011, 07:08 AM
I had the same issues with my Unimog. All 24 volt.... You will have to replace all bulbs and the voltage stabilizer for the gauges. Keeping 24 is ok. The amp draw is lower so wires can be thinner. I suggest getting a solar converter, 24 to 12 /12 to 24. It will take voltage either way , very handy when charging batteries. The linear voltage step down unit will also work but has a 70-80 % conversion. You will lose alot of power to heat.
Just my 2 pents.

Tasi Autele
10-22-2011, 12:58 PM
I dropped in a 2.25 that is set up for 12v. I also put in a 12v coil and solenoid. Is there anything else I should be concerned about?

Terrys
10-23-2011, 06:34 AM
Is there anything else I should be concerned about?
Generator, starter, heater motor, light bulbs, wiper motor, voltage stabilizer.

I actually like Ex-MOD truck wiring systems, as opposed to civis, but never owned a FFR. If I did, I suspect I'd leave it alone.