PDA

View Full Version : Jeep bench seat

Ncrover725
10-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Tonight I bolted in a jeep bestop trailmax II bench seat in the back of my IIa 109 regular. It fits a child's booster seat and a car seat which now makes the wife a whole lot happier. The seat does fold forward when not in use to create extra cargo space. I feel much better with the kids in this than Rover rear bench seats. I will post photos tomorrow when I have daylight.

John O from Jersey
10-18-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm curious to see how you mounted it. I've been thinking about what to put in my 88 in that regard. One thought I had was to go with one half of the split optional seats that go in the back of Denali/Yukon/Escalades. Those actually have integrated seat belts built in the seat. Of course that means fabbing some type of bracket to mount them to the floor. Has anybody gone that route???

amcordo
10-18-2011, 07:42 AM
I'm curious to see how you mounted it. I've been thinking about what to put in my 88 in that regard. One thought I had was to go with one half of the split optional seats that go in the back of Denali/Yukon/Escalades. Those actually have integrated seat belts built in the seat. Of course that means fabbing some type of bracket to mount them to the floor. Has anybody gone that route???

I have. I used 2002 Silverado seats (1999-2003 are the same, but I think all 99 - and up have integrated belts including the inertia harness). Right now they're slapped on top of the seat box for the driver and passenger, but having fancy belts isn't very useful if the whole affair is bolted into flimsy aluminum. So instead, I purchased a bunch of boxed steel and I'll either weld or bolt together a new seat box.

In any case, I can tell you that these seats are much larger than any of the seats that typically go in these Rovers. But they're comfortable as heck, uncomplicated, and very easy to get covers in every material and color.

John O from Jersey
10-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Wow - putting them up front - neat idea. I was going to put one in the back and mount it with a big honking steel backing plate under the tub (or directly to the tub supports if they line up). My thought was only one so my little one can get in through the back door and walk around the seat to get in. Curious to see how NCRover mounted his bench. I'd love a shot of the under side.

I too will take pictures whenever I get around to this.

JO

Ncrover725
10-18-2011, 11:16 AM
I am sorry for the photos being kinda dark. I took them early this morning. The bench seat came with the required mounting hardware for a Jeep. I had no problem using it for my Rover. There are three attachment points from the seat to the floor. Each attachment point came with a threaded plate that went below the vehicle. All I did was mark the holes, drill through the floor, set the seat in place, had my wife push the bolts through while I was underneath the truck with the threaded plates, she threaded the bolts, and I then came up and cranked them down. I will be attaching HUMMV seat belts (free) tonight if I get a chance. I will also photo that. The seat does rotate foward as you can see in the photos and will give me extra cargo space if I dont have the kids inside at the time.

Firemanshort
10-18-2011, 11:53 AM
I run almost the same thing in the back of my 109 Stage One. My seat is a junkyard Jeep seat and it attached to the side walls of the bed. I installed lap belts with big fender washers.

I doubt it would pass 2011 NHTSA standards - but it provides me extra seating for my daughter and her friends when we are off roading.

On my to-do list is to find some sort of quick disconnect for the seatbelts so that when I fold the deat up they are not in the way. I have had the seat back there for 4+ years and still have not gotten to that, yet.