PDA

View Full Version : Where do my heater pipes connect?

Tasi Autele
10-18-2011, 12:29 AM
Hello all, I am new so please correct any improper etiquette. My name is Tasi, I have a 74 series iii 109 ffr ex-mod. I purchased a 2.25 from a gent on Craigslist installed and was just able to get it started 2 days ago. :) I was VERY excited. My first question for my next step is where do the heater pipes attach on the engine?
I also have 2 thermostat's coming through the firewall, where do they go? I cannot find them in either the restoration manual or the other manual that I have.
I will post pics when I figure out how. I think I have it. My daughter also likes to work on the 109 as you can tell.

Thanks for your help

Jim-ME
10-18-2011, 05:04 AM
In picture number two there is a threaded hole just below the temperature bulbs you are holding. A hose barb screws in there and that is where one hose for your heater attaches. In picture three you show a fitting with a knob. That is where you other heater hose connects. The two temperature bulbs are sensors for capillary temperature gauges. I imagine one is for water temp and the other oil temp. There should be a provision for the water temp sender to screw into the head just behind the thermostat housing. If you have an oil cooler follow the oil cooler lines and you should find a T type fitting in the line between the engine and the oil cooler. That is where my oil temperature sensor was when I had an oil cooler.
Jim

jac04
10-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Great picture of you & your daughter!

There are a combination of metal pipes & rubber hoses that connect everything. If you don't have the metal pipes, you can usually make it work with just rubber heater hoses - just be careful of how you route the heater hoses. The picture attached shows regular SIII heater hoses with a control valve at the front.

Does your vehicle have the civilian style heater mounted under the right side fender, or do you have the flat rectangular heater mounted to the bulkhead just below the instruments?

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_1581aa.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/SIIIHeaterHoses.jpg

Les Parker
10-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Great picture of the engine bay with father and daughter framed by an MOD Series III.

I thought it was a great shot of the clutch cover through the RH headlamp apeture !!

:thumb-up:

siii8873
10-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Jeff, looks like some quality help in your picture also.
I think you reversed the heater control valve location in your picture, but described it correctly (at front on Tstat housing) The other temp bulb (oil temp) should be on the iol cooler line at the front left of engine if it's where mine is located

edit, take that back your valve is at back of engine, reversed from where my civy ones are located. Like this better as this is the supply side

Tasi Autele
10-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Wow, the diagram and pic helped out a ton. So this is the heater unit and how I have it hooked in for now, so I can run the engine.

Jim, Thank you, I do have an oil cooler but no lines in or out. My thoughts were one may be for oil, but I really did not know for sure.
Jac, not sure what the difference in heaters are, but I think you can catch a glimpse of the heater in one of these pics. It is a rectangular box on the bulkhead though in the engine bay.
siii, the 2.25 is out of a sii a. I do not know whether civi or ex mod. I will look at both points you have described though. Thank you

siii8873
10-18-2011, 07:31 PM
there should be a Tee on your oil cooler line somewhere where the second temperature bulb mounts. This would be the one that goes to the oil temp gauge.