PDA

View Full Version : how to screw 2.25 thermostat in?

Tasi Autele
10-18-2011, 07:31 PM
So I did not realize until after I had screwed the thermostat in to the housing that it was not secured to the wire. DOH! I was so proud because I had just made (cut down) a specialized wrench for the project.
so my question how do you secure the thermostat? Do I just need a new one?

Thank you,

Tasi

bpj911
10-18-2011, 07:44 PM
not sure what you are asking. put the sender in the hole and then start the threads is what it looks like. not sure why you need a special wrench

Tasi Autele
10-18-2011, 11:00 PM
The wrench was too long, I had to cut it down in order to turn the square plug.
I thought it was pretty straight forward also, just screw it in. However; without any resistance on the bulb the nut will be screwed in tight and the bulb is still free to slide in and out. So I was wondering if mine is broken, if it was welded at one point, or if I am missing a piece, basically how to secure the bulb in place.
Also feel free to point and laugh if it is very obvious and I will say "duh" once I realize how it goes. As for now I am stumped.

Jim-ME
10-19-2011, 04:06 AM
The shoulder on the bulb should fit against the bottom of the nut and will be held in place when you tighten the nut into the head.
Jim

Sputnicker
10-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Looks like you are missing a piece. There is an adapter that threads into the head.

Tasi Autele
10-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Looks like I will be ordering a new one. Thank you guys.

jac04
10-19-2011, 07:13 PM
I think these are what you are looking for:
218512 Union for thermometer bulb, Petrol models
243959 Joint washer, union to cylinder head, Petrol models

I think the union is NLA. Contact Les at Rovers North - he may know where/how to get one.

Tasi Autele
10-20-2011, 02:29 AM
Thank you Jac 04 perfect!

Les Parker
10-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Have you compared the threads on the plug you pulled out with that on the capillary tube end? If the same, it should thread straight in.

I have one of the standard IIa male/male adaptors on my desk, though I do not think that is required for this application.

Tasi Autele
10-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Les,
yes they thread in, however; there is no resistance on the bulb once the nut is in so the wire floats freely. I spoke with our host and they said they do not have the part, also I can just get the whole cable gauge and bulb from the local parts store.