PDA

View Full Version : Surface rust on block

AU_88
10-19-2011, 10:35 AM
So I took the cylinder head off the block and finally got in a new one. The top of the block has been covered pretty decently but has developed a little bit of surface rust in a couple spots, is there a good way to take care of the rust? I really want the truck to run soon, but fear I may have made a big mistake.

Thanks,
Robert

albersj51
10-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Im using ospho on a bunch of engine components (oil fill tube, t-state housing) to convert the surface rust to black iron phosphate before paint. Perhaps you could put some on a rag and wipe it down a few times.

TedW
10-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Im using ospho on a bunch of engine components (oil fill tube, t-state housing) to convert the surface rust to black iron phosphate before paint. Perhaps you could put some on a rag and wipe it down a few times.

X2 on Ospho. Terrific stuff. Will also eat away your fingerprints if you don't wear gloves, so be careful with it.

AU_88
10-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Where does one find ospho?

TedW
10-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Where does one find ospho?

One can find Ospho at fine marine stores everywhere - and on the internets tubes.

albersj51
10-19-2011, 12:43 PM
X2 on Ospho. Terrific stuff. Will also eat away your fingerprints if you don't wear gloves, so be careful with it.

HA! This is probably true, but I've never had an issue and its gotten all over the place...of course, I rinse my skin immediately after use.

AU88 - I get mine at Ace Hardware for $12/bottle...a bottle is WAY more than enough for your needs.

TedW
10-19-2011, 03:29 PM
HA! This is probably true, but I've never had an issue and its gotten all over the place...of course, I rinse my skin immediately after use.

AU88 - I get mine at Ace Hardware for $12/bottle...a bottle is WAY more than enough for your needs.

Ace has it? Who knew! It should cost about half as much at Ace compared to a boat store.

NickDawson
10-22-2011, 07:58 AM
great stuff indeed! Also works well to turn rust spots on a Series III dash back to their original black :)