PDA

View Full Version : New to this site and Series Rover Restorations.

jumpmaster54
10-20-2011, 02:05 PM
OK here is goes. The very first thread of many. I just sold my 1972 Series 88 so that I could get a 109 because I have 2 kids. In my driveway now sits a 1967 Land Rover 109 #21 that I got from KHiller in Colorado.

Hopefully someone can update the NADA registry on this site. Can we order that cool sticker with our Landy's number on it? I'd love to put that on my rear window.

I am going to undertake a frame on restoration. Any advice would be helpful. Here is what I need advice on:

1. High ratio transfer from Rovers north or Roverdrive so I can get lower RPM< better Gas mileage and maybe a little more top end. I will take this camping but no mudding for me.

2. Best thing to coat the frame with. Frame has surface rust with no rot. 1 small quarter sized rust spoy on the bulkhead and all outriggers are solid with light surface rust only. POR15? Zeibart Undercoating?

3. I plan to strip the body and top to bare aluminum and get it professionally painted. What primer should be used under the paint and yes I will stay with the pastel green and limestone safari top and wheels.

4. There is an auxiullary fuel tank under the seat and the Landy came with the sending unit. I need to understand what I need to get it plummed and the right dual tap for dual tanks. A schematic would be wonderful.

I will post my before pics then some tear down pics, after paint pics and then someday when she is all back together.

Out of respect to all previous owners and the fact that they took care of this amazing machine and kept it in the shape this masterpiece deserve I shall keep the rover's name "HARRY".

Wish me luck on my first Land Rover Seriers restore.

Sarge

superstator
10-20-2011, 02:20 PM
My vote would be for the Roverdrive. With the HR transfer case you're giving up some low end, which is valuable, even if you don't have big plans for offroading. With an overdrive you get a lot of flexibility in exchange for shifting a little more often.

bkreutz
10-20-2011, 02:45 PM
If you're getting it professionally painted, make sure the painter you use is familiar with aluminum (get references and look at examples of his work that are more than a year old). Then let him decide on surface prep and primers. Modern paints are systems and if the wrong materials are used as a base, bad things can happen. All the manufacturers have volumes of instructions for every type of paint system. One suggestion is to find someone who paints aircraft. Have fun with your new toy.:thumb-up:

albersj51
10-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Welcome!

For rust prevention, nothing beat hot dip galvanizing. I had all steel components (frame, bulkhead, rad support, etc) dipped a couple months ago. I also found it cheaper than painting it. Since you're out west, rust is probably not as much of an issue. If you are set on using a paint, I like Masterseries Silver (nomorerust.com...I think). Anything that I couldnt dip, was coated in it before I painted it.

LaneRover
10-20-2011, 03:19 PM
If going with paint or some other type of non-galvanizing protection of the chassis remember to also protect the inside of the chassis. Rover chassis tend to rot from the inside out.

Check out Waxoyl (or similar) products for the inside of the chassis.

albersj51
10-20-2011, 03:37 PM
I think Eastwood recently came out with a paint for the inner frame. Masterseries has a similar inner-frame paint, but I dont know anything about it.

Billy5
10-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Sounds like a great truck! As far as frame goes, stick with something that doesnt get all gloppy. POR 15 is great stuff, followed by their chassis black, is what I plan to do. When I repaint my 88 in a year or so, bare metal, then aluniprep solution, this is important. As already stated, most paints are a system. You can get away with some different manufacturers but if something goes wrong you wont know for sure what the problem is. As a painter, I have found this out the hard way. The most critical part of the system is the primer or coating to the bare aluminum. No paint is the world is good if it comes off in sheets from the body:). I have Toro overdrive, I find invaluable. I am happy with the stock transfer, and I wont be mudding either. But I do get snow. A 109 just might be in my future as well. Good luck!

jumpmaster54
10-20-2011, 04:55 PM
from what I have found the Roverdrive SS is the one I want for my 109 6 Cylinder right? The cost seems about the same as the HR transfer.

I do have a 1974 RHD 109 for sale but it needs a frame very bad. It is a 2.25 and has an ashcroft overdrive. Power break upgrades all the way around. It has over 7 thousand in receipts in the past few years but who ever had it, did nothing to the frame and it is useless. Runs great. Has Exmoor seats in front and middle seats, safari top etc. Receipts show engine fresh up, thousands in brakes and the overdrive install.

Roof Rack, Tires and steps do not go with the rover. Clear title.

Looking to get $5000 obo. Someone handy or that needs an amazing drivetrain that has

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo179/jumpmaster54/1974RoverProject.jpg
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo179/jumpmaster54/RoverProjectSeats.jpg