PDA

View Full Version : Warn M11 hub question/advice

sandythelandy
10-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Hello all, I’ve got Warn M11’s on my 74 series III. One of them seems to be stuck half way between the locked and free positions. Any idea what should be done to fix this issue? If I take them apart, what should I replace? Where would I get the appropriate O rings? Do I put gear oil in there for lubrication?

Thanks

east high
10-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Ike has replacement o-rings for these hubs if you end up rebuilding them. I'm guessing the inside of your hubs need a good clean and re-greasing.

sandythelandy
10-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Sorry but who is Ike??
What sort of grease should I use?

Thanks

albersj51
10-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Ike Goss at Pangolin4x4.com

east high
10-21-2011, 02:06 PM
I used regular bearing grease. The beauty to these hubs is that there isn't much to them, but the little bearings can be a bugger to keep in place as you put the whole thing together. Use the grease to hold them in place as you slide it all together.

For the next bit I refer to the base as the end that bolts to the truck, and the top is the end with the brass knob.

Be sure you have the inner (engagement) sleeve run all the way in to the top before you install the brass knob. You'll want to install the brass knob at the free position. Tighten everything up and make sure the inner sleeve runs toward the base of the hub when you turn the knob to the locked position.

stomper
10-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Before you start pulling things apart, park your rover on a flat surface, and leave it in neutral. Roll the truck slightly forward and back while you try and turn the hub locker. You may find using an adjustable wrench on the lock mechanism will give you a little more leverage to get it to engage or disengage the first time around. This has happened once or twice with one of my hubs, but nothing I couldn't free up on the side of the road.

east high
10-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Before you start pulling things apart, park your rover on a flat surface, and leave it in neutral. Roll the truck slightly forward and back while you try and turn the hub locker. You may find using an adjustable wrench on the lock mechanism will give you a little more leverage to get it to engage or disengage the first time around. This has happened once or twice with one of my hubs, but nothing I couldn't free up on the side of the road.

This is true. Sometimes they just need a little forceful persuasion. :D

Terrys
10-23-2011, 06:31 AM
Use red grease, not the black moly stuff (unless you enjoy cleaning your wheels everytime you go out)