PDA

View Full Version : Clutch not disengaging

mbranch365
10-22-2011, 09:51 AM
I have a 72 SIII 88 that I dragged out of the woods a while back. I have rebuilt the engine and it runs fine but the clutch seems like it is not fully disengaging. The gears grind loudly when I try to put it in gear, it will go in but it jumps and once in gear its does not stall out or pull. I replaced all of the hydralics master,slave and hose. I removed the cover under the shifter and can see the throwout moving and the pedel feels normal. I did not replace the clutch with the rebuild as I plan to tear the whole truck down for a restoration after I have the mechanicals sorted out. I also plan a few mods including scout II power steering, GM alternater and a few other minor upgrades. Does anyone have any sugestions? could the problem be in the trans or is somthing with my clutch wrong? this vehicle sat up for 20+ years so anything is possible.

SafeAirOne
10-22-2011, 12:41 PM
The last similar complaint posted recently turned out to be the transmission input shaft being dragged along by a failed flywheel bushing.

bkreutz
10-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Given how long it sat, you could have some corrosion on the input shaft causing the disc to hang up and not completely disengaging. This could free up after putting some miles on it.

mbranch365
10-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the advice Thats pretty much what I am thinking. I guess I just need to snatch it back out and look at clutch input shaft etc... and see if somthing is hanging up.

LaneRover
10-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Check wear on the input shaft pins, there are a couple in there that can wear 'ovals' in their holes.