PDA

View Full Version : series 3 parabolic spring question

transalpian
10-24-2011, 06:54 AM
My series 3 has parabolic springs but has a pronounced "lean" to the left (driver's side). Is there a way to adjust the trim on these, or should I replace the springs? Spring mounts and frame are solid (new galvy frame).

Thanks

jac04
10-24-2011, 07:17 AM
How pronounced is the lean? IIRC, factory specs are within 1" side to side, which is noticeable. You can make sure that the bushings aren't 'binding' or preloaded by loosening the front hanger & rear shacke bolts, settle the suspension by jumping up & down on the front & back a few times, then re-tightening the bolts.

The other option would be to switch the springs side-to-side. Spring geometry & rate can vary from one spring to another. Switching them might solve your issue.

transalpian
10-24-2011, 08:57 AM
I'll measure the lean tonight. Its enough that my wife complains when getting in the passenger side. I've also seen the right front wheel geometry look a little hinky.

I like the switch idea. With my "girth", it would probably ride pretty level!!

In typical rover fashion, anything I should do to the springs/bushings/etc "while I'm in there"?

Jeremy

stomper
10-24-2011, 10:37 AM
If you switch the springs, Depending on how old your U-bolts are that hold the axle to the spring ought to be switched out. Perhaps new bushings, but I doubt it. Give the front flex lines for the brakes a good inspection. nothing else I can think of.

Broadstone
10-24-2011, 10:58 AM
I gave up on mine. Though all new and original suspension used I still have the driver side lean of about 1-1.5". I swapped sides front and back and it made no difference. The only thing that worked for me was compressing the suspension on the high side and making a new hole in the checkstrap to get it to sit the same as the drivers side. Everyone tells me who cares but it bothered me a lot until I exhausted all possible solutions, now "who cares"

cedryck
10-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Same here, did not make a difference at all. Truck still sits about 1.5 inches lean to the right. Just the way it is with 2 leaf para's. No more good advice there,

SafeAirOne
10-24-2011, 01:37 PM
The factory springs were built so that the driver's side springs sat higher than the non-driver's side so that with driver and fuel, the truck sits level.

Is this the same for paraboics?

SalemRover
10-24-2011, 02:14 PM
The factory springs were built so that the driver's side springs sat higher than the non-driver's side so that with driver and fuel, the truck sits level.

Is this the same for paraboics?

When I bought my RM parabolics about 9 years ago they were not sided.

transalpian
10-24-2011, 04:16 PM
OK, so with a tape, I've got 1.5" of lean. Here, I think, is my problem (the lhs spring):

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/1056/lhside.jpg

compare that to the rhs spring (pic not as good):

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/6665/rhside.jpg

Based on the differences in the profiles, me thinks I've got a bad spring? What say ye?

siiirhd88
10-24-2011, 05:02 PM
I've got RN parabolics on my 109, two leaf front and three leaf rears. Within a week of driving it was leaning to the driver's (right) side with a visual side for side difference in both F & R springs. I swapped both side for side, and within a few days it was once again sagging to the driver's side.

Oh well, I figured it was just going to sag due to my heavy self and it is still that same way a few years later.

Bob

albersj51
10-24-2011, 05:03 PM
I dont have an answer to your question, but after speaking with a Rover vendor, they convinced me to rebuild my factory springs (HUGE PITA!) due to new springs not being "sided", which can result in unwanted lean.

Best of luck

Jason

jac04
10-24-2011, 06:18 PM
OK, so with a tape, I've got 1.5" of lean. Here, I think, is my problem (the lhs spring):

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/1056/lhside.jpg

compare that to the rhs spring (pic not as good):

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/6665/rhside.jpg

Based on the differences in the profiles, me thinks I've got a bad spring? What say ye?
Yes, I think you have a spring problem. Not sure who made your springs or when, but here is some interesting reading regarding improperly made parabolics:
http://www.parabolicsuspension.com/colaert/colaert.htm

transalpian
10-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Ok, loaded question. What do I replace them with?

albersj51
10-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Our hosts sell them as does rocky mountain parabolics in canada. Ive heard great things about Alcan Springs as well.

jac04
10-24-2011, 07:26 PM
If you purchased them new and they aren't too old, I would go back to the manufacturer or vendor and see what they can do about replacing them. Otherwise, look into the Rovers North parabolics. They are (at least double-check that they still are) made by Woodhead http://www.woodheadsprings.com/parabolic-springs.htm . I installed them on my Lightweight and they seem to be of good quality.

transalpian
12-01-2011, 12:19 PM
They were on the truck when I bought it. I have confirmed they are not from RM or RN, however.

I've talked to both RM and RN regarding recommendations but do not yet have a concensus.

I'm leaning toward three spring versus two since I run the hardtop and have dual fuel tanks. Any concerns here?

This will be a spring 2012 project, so I am taking time to do all the reseach I can (occupational hazard, I guess).

Skeeball
12-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Hard tellin not knowin but perhaps the ones you have were made by Haystee OR TI Console?? I think that those have a bump stop on the 3rd leaf at the end

Skeeball
12-01-2011, 01:08 PM
I was at RN recently and spoke to Mark He said the RN Parabolics are made by British Spring. I have no experience with them and am currently deciding which way to go as well. It is all pretty confusing. i asked on another board and found that there were 8 users of parabolice that opted for the 2 front 3 rear setup and that 3 went with 2 front/2 rear (one owner had a tropical roof and a winch) all were satisfied ...So that confuses things more..
I do knoow for a fact that with the 2/3 setup the 88 rides and handles a lot better with weight in back.
Please let us know what you decide to do!
At the moment I am leaning towards 2/3

transalpian
12-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Skeeball
I was at RN recently and spoke to Mark He said the RN Parabolics are made by British Spring.

Interesting. On Nov 21, Steve (of RN) told me their springs are produced by Woodhead (of India).

EDIT TO ADD:

Maybe this clears things up? (maybe not)

http://www.parabolicspring.com/bs.htm

They indicate British Springs are produced in India, probably (my assumption) by Woodhead?

transalpian
12-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Please let us know what you decide to do!
At the moment I am leaning towards 2/3

Based on the condition of my existing springs, it would be a tough decision for me to go to a (perceived lighter-duty) two-leaf spring. I don't plan on replacing the fronts as they seem in excellent condition (they are 2 leafs, btw).

cedryck
12-01-2011, 03:02 PM
I purchased rocky mountain parabolic springs, 2 front 2 rear (because of the price mainly) and since on the truck there is a noticable 1 3/4 lean to the right side. I did not yet try to switch them and see what happens. I suppose you could or just deal with the annoying lean. I suppose I could replaced them with balanced parabolics, the ones I have seen on LR's are pretty even to the eye. To me it is not a big deal, but I am disapointed in the quality control of this product.

Terrys
12-01-2011, 03:16 PM
British Spring is located in Doncaster, England, but don't know if they sub the parabolics out.
A friend has had a non-stop revolving spring delivery with RN, And after the 3rd set, he's finally satisfied. I put RM on a soft top 88, 2/2 and it was OK. I just replaced the rears on my present 88 with Genuines. Parabolics won't handle the loads I subject that truck to (250 gallon sap tank, with 30 gallon gathering tank hung off the back). Genuines do just fine for me and I like their ride. My son has 2/4 parabolics on his Stage One (109 obviously) and it wallows at speed.

transalpian
12-01-2011, 05:22 PM
So, having never driven this rover without the current springs, should I be looking at installing leafs rather than parabolics?

Thoughts?

cedryck
12-02-2011, 05:10 PM
there is nothing wrong with oem stacked leaf springs. They do have a different ride charactoristic, but are great at loads. the problem is that when you and i get an original car, they need replacing. great comfy ride and good off road articulation with the para's. cheer mate, Jeffrey. :thumb-up: