PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Expedition Series

bmohan55
10-26-2011, 09:15 AM
It may be over the top but there are certain things about it I think are really cool, i.e. the roof hatch & wood trim.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Series-lll-Galvanized-Chassis-Restored-Hunting-Camper-low-miles-/110763180604?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19ca00023c

SalemRover
10-26-2011, 09:29 AM
dual winches! that is one well thought out series rover.

rejeep
10-26-2011, 09:35 AM
very cool, but a bit too busy for me

jumpmaster54
10-26-2011, 10:02 AM
I have considered that type of 110 staye roof cage for my 67 series IIa 109 5 door. Thoughts?

superstator
10-26-2011, 12:54 PM
The wood trim seems a little cheesy to me, but I have to admit it's well done all round. Interesting that it has the UK plugs in the back - obviously the whole camper thing was done before it was imported. Also, one picture of the dude with binoculars was enough to show how the roof port works :).

jac04
10-26-2011, 02:47 PM
I love the 'glamour' shots. Makes me want to have some professional photos taken of my Rover.

I can't help but wonder if that external cage is tied into the chassis & strong enough to be used as a roll cage. From the looks of the hardware holding it in place, I don't think it was.

dual winches! that is one well thought out series rover.
I don't think that rear winch was meant for anything more than pulling some firewood out of the woods.

Skookumchuck
10-26-2011, 06:32 PM
I like mine better it is covered in mud and well loved.;)

Terrys
10-26-2011, 06:37 PM
I love the 'glamour' shots. Makes me want to have some professional photos taken of my Rover.

I can't help but wonder if that external cage is tied into the chassis & strong enough to be used as a roll cage. From the looks of the hardware holding it in place, I don't think it was.

I don't think that rear winch was meant for anything more than pulling some firewood out of the woods. You mean that ATV winch ? I might have taken more time to look at the truck, but the guy seems like such a poseur, the whole thing put me off. I mean, what exactly do you hunt with binoculars and 12ga? Why not just stand on the tailgate, with the upper left down, instead of chopping the roof open. I agree with the cheesy wood assessment too. Sorry, but that many 'wannabe' pictures undid what he was trying to do in my mind.

SafeAirOne
10-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Sorry, but that many 'wannabe' pictures undid what he was trying to do in my mind.

I don't think many of us make up the seller's target market. It did make me want to buy some clothes from the J. Perterman catalog though...

Terrys
10-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Taken right from his post " Under the bonnet is clean, clean, clean. You can work on it without the fear of getting dirty."

Oh yikes there's a dirty spot under my pinky, get it off get it off

wrighthm
10-26-2011, 08:09 PM
"the fear of getting dirty" the fear, the fear!

Winemark
10-27-2011, 05:31 AM
You mean that ATV winch ? I might have taken more time to look at the truck, but the guy seems like such a poseur, the whole thing put me off. I mean, what exactly do you hunt with binoculars and 12ga? Why not just stand on the tailgate, with the upper left down, instead of chopping the roof open. I agree with the cheesy wood assessment too. Sorry, but that many 'wannabe' pictures undid what he was trying to do in my mind.

While I have a weird degree of admiration of the truck, in so much as I doubt the buyer will ever spend an hour laying underneath it wrenching on anything, it isnt for me.
To Terry's point I dont think the guy in the picture nor the future owner will ever find himself in a place where he is pulling out a tow strap or for that matter ever rolling the hubs to engage 4WD. That trucks smells like it will end up in the Hamptons, ACK, Jekyll Island or the like, washing off mud or sand seem to be the last thing that will be part of the future for that very interesting truck

TeriAnn
10-27-2011, 08:39 AM
"the fear of getting dirty" the fear, the fear!

Geezzz guys. You have already ridiculed the future owner as a poser because the truck is currently really clean.

In the summer of 1997 I finished completely rebuilding my truck. Completely fresh interior, including fresh front headliner, freshly painted instrument panel, fresh interior wall panels and freshly painted Dormobile furniture. She had a steam cleaned underside & engine bay, fresh paint on the frame, EXPENSIVE fresh British Racing Green paint ( I took her down to bare metal before taking her to the paint shop) and fresh gel coat on the Dormobile pop up roof. She looked like a new truck inside & out. But before the paint was old enough to wax it had horizontal brush stripes and the underside had that well used on the trail look. And the interior had been camped in for over a month.

You guys don't know the circumstances of the photos used to sell the truck and you certainly don't know who will be buying the truck and for what purpose. And what about the possibility that the truck was used in some sort of advertising or catalogue shoot?

So why the shark feeding frenzy? It seems that every time someone tries to clean up a truck to look really nice everyone becomes a rivet counter judge. Any time someone offers a truck for sale at multiple times higher than the average well used semi worn out truck goes for everyone becomes vicious and attacks the seller as being a scammer trying to steal food from the mouths of staving babes.

Can't you guys just enjoy a nice looking truck and wish people well? Can you have fun without getting vicious???

CMorris
10-27-2011, 08:56 AM
"So why the shark feeding frenzy? It seems that every time someone tries to clean up a truck to look really nice everyone becomes a rivet counter judge. Any time someone offers a truck for sale at multiple times higher than the average well used semi worn out truck goes for everyone becomes vicious and attacks the seller as being a scammer trying to steal food from the mouths of staving babes."

X2................Well put...........I like the truck, and truly appreciate that someone has obviously put a TON of thought and hard work into it. Good luck to the seller.

smukai
10-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Holy crap...that is impressive!

Different and not my style but impressive nonetheless.

73series88
10-27-2011, 01:44 PM
it is a nice truck
the pictures of the guy are cheezy
aaron

Billy5
10-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Well kudos for beautiful pictures. But really? The shotgun scenes? Really? Could of used a nice Beretta Over and Under for those to complete the "look". Nice rover though...wonder if it has one of those hot press sandwich makers too...hmm.

jac04
10-27-2011, 02:50 PM
... everyone becomes vicious and attacks the seller as being a scammer ...
I think you are making a little more of people's comments than intended. I see nothing more than a few harmless comments. Maybe I missed the part where someone claimed the seller was a scammer.

I can certainly appreciate & respect the amount of work that goes into a detailed vehicle like that. But, what's up with the axle bump stops mounted on the rear crossmember? Sorry, couldn't help myself.

mrdoiron
10-27-2011, 04:59 PM
It may be over the top but there are certain things about it I think are really cool, i.e. the roof hatch & wood trim.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Series-lll-Galvanized-Chassis-Restored-Hunting-Camper-low-miles-/110763180604?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19ca00023c

Agreed, glamour shots and the 'J Peterman catalog' (lol) images aside... I do love the pride in ownership someone had here, and can certainly appreciate the
work.

PS: is the color truly Land Rover Grey # S 92578 ? I am thinking of giving my bugeye a facelift soon, and always liked this color, and wondering where to best source this paint also.

cheers, mike

VTRover
10-30-2011, 07:47 PM
As usual, I'm with Terrys 100%. Man is that thing cheesy. Love the binocs and "gun wot fires shot" Great Safari Joe outfit too.

Terrys
10-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Geezzz guys. You have already ridiculed the future owner as a poser because the truck is currently really clean.
No darlin, you've missed the point. It's a nice truck and hopefully will end up in the hands of someone who will put it to "good" use.
It's the seller we're having fun with here. I didn't think that was so complicated to figure out.

VTRover
10-31-2011, 07:04 AM
Safari Journal

DAY ONE: Today I engaged the so-called "Low-Range" lever. To my utter surprise, the vehicle remained at a constant height. I immediately pulled out my Motorola Iridium Sat phone and although surrounded by hostiles (Gridlock traffic on the 405 outside Los Angeles) I was able to complete the call to the local safari expert - South Hollywood Land Rover.

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr36/markieboy5000/71Sereislll88228.jpg

DAY TWO: Egads! today whilst using my ATV winch to recover my purchases at Costco, I realized that the dashboard wood was not the walnut zebra birch pattern I had instructed my mechanic to install. Rather it was a common pine, this will no doubt affect the vehicle's entry into the Paris/Dakar pan-sahara/artic challenge.

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr36/markieboy5000/71Sereislll88281.jpg

DAY SEVEN: Today I spotted the elusive "bird of clay" at approximately 1000 yards. After emptying approximately 20 cases of .12 gauge ammunition with no effect, I realized my weapon must have a malfunction. I logged an entry into my Safari Journal (with a quill tipped pen, of course) to have the weapon immediately disassembled and mounted with a proper long range scope. I have also ordered a light beige linen Safari suit in hopes of blending in with my surroundings more effectively. NOTE TO SELF: Be sure to deploy the camo net around the vehicle at all times whilst parked. Last week, I nearly had my bumper blemished by some savage in the Starbucks parking lot.

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr36/markieboy5000/71Sereislll88266.jpg

bmohan55
10-31-2011, 07:52 AM
^^LOL...^^

Day ten

It's raining, noticed what I believe is moisture inside my expedition vehicle, might be related, I'll have my mechanic check it out.

Honestly, maybe I am a bit jealous as I've been so busy trying to keep mine running that I've never had the time or money to do "fun" things to it...although I wouldn't have gone this far, but to each his own.

TeriAnn
10-31-2011, 08:56 AM
..although I wouldn't have gone this far, but to each his own.

Gee and I was thinking his truck was a bit primitive for a full on expedition rig.

At least mine has a separate cabinet just to store tea which can hold up to seven tea boxes. And I don't recall seeing a knife rack. Mine has a custom hand made oak knife rack.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/GRdetailPics/GR_knifeRack.jpg

And his stove doesn't even have a broiler!

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/GRktichen1t.jpg

HOW
can one go on a long rage expedition
with such a primitive minimal feature rig like that??
;) ;) ;)

mongoswede
10-31-2011, 05:36 PM
HOW
can one go on a long rage expedition
with such a primitive minimal feature rig like that??
;) ;) ;)

Here wa my first expedition vehicle. Now I pack significantly less.

http://crazyswede.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Summer-2005-Transamtrail-43/1000001/69392860_FmhLp-L.jpg

leafsprung
10-31-2011, 05:40 PM
pshaw - I packed a metal lunchbox with a change of underwear a toothbrush a rain slicker and a pistol and took off on my unicycle . . ..

o2batsea
10-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Love the roll cage screwed to the aluminum panels...

VTRover
10-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Terrie Ann, Darlin, who says you can't take the Kitchen with you? Priorities..... you got them in spades! ALL kitchen! Nothing else! You rock! Go Girl!

Day One: Drive to Trader Joe's, stock up on cookies, butter, candy, Ho-Ho's, Orange Soda, hot dogs, and organic nuts.

Day Two: I've eaten all the supplies, need to re-supply at Whole Foods, Ye Gods, they don't have candy, cookies, spam, nuts, or butter filled sugar bombs, make that Kroger.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/GRktichen1t.jpg

Day Three: Explore options, Wegmans, Stew Lenoards, or Dollar Store, hmmmmmmm, provisioning is always a challenge.

http://www.tjwakeman.net/new_images/TWsitinglo.jpg

mrdoiron
12-05-2011, 07:22 AM

Looks like it it's back... I thought it sold prior... another go it seems.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Series-lll-NO-RESERVE-NO-RESERVE-NO-RESERVE-Galvanized-Chassis-Restored-Expedition-Ready-/110786169019?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19cb5ec8bb#ht_38522wt_1182

jac04
12-05-2011, 08:54 AM
^^Seller states that he sold it for $37,500 but the buyer couldn't come up with the money.

TeriAnn
12-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Terrie Ann, Darlin, who says you can't take the Kitchen with you? Priorities..... you got them in spades! ALL kitchen! Nothing else! You rock! Go Girl!

It is not all kitchen. Those pictures only show the rear left side of my tuck's back area. The front two cabinets are storage. Clothing, books shoes recovery straps, handle for my pick ax plus bottom porta pottie storage on one cabinet. Fold up seat, sleeping bag & inflatable mat storage, spare nut & bolt box, 3 bottle wine cabinet, towels, toiletries, spare fan belts, relays, volt meter, + more spares in the other cabinet.

Overhead is a fold out bed with reading light. At the back not in the pictures is a single folding jump seat & compressor for airing up. A good place to sit a read in the evenings.

Sorry no cookies, spam or junk food. Just home style scratch made meals. Mostly meat, veggies, salad makings, orange juice & milk in the refrigerator. I only declare food emergencies if I run out of fresh garlic or mushrooms. Usually I came in then I've gone mostly through the 42 gallons of fuel that my three fuel tanks hold. Then I top off my 15 gallon stainless steel water tank and the refrigerator assuming I've been out traveling 4 or 5 days already.

While it seems palatial to some it is primitive compared to several outside vehicle camps that I have seen. My advantage is that I can go from driving on the trail to camp completely set up, dinner salad made, glass of wine poured and dinner cooking in less than 5 minutes. Even when it is windy & raining outside.

Yes, you can camp with less and have a good time for a short time. But I like being out longer. And for me, that means comfort and regular like home meals.

Anyone can put up with just about anything for a short time but how long can you go before a motel room, restaurant or your own bed becomes more interesting than what is over the next hill and around the next bend.

Can you go 2 or 3 months on the trail and still be more excited about what might be around the next bend than the thought of a motel room & restaurant or your own bed?? Live it, then if you can still say yes you have an expedition rig that suits you.

http://www.tjwakeman.net/1dancing_santas.gif

mongoswede
12-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Reminds me of a very nicely setup Unimog 416 with a living box on the back I see for sale up in Canada on the Unimog Exchange. Its a bit out of my price range at $35k but a nice setup for a go anywhere live comfortably expedition vehicle.