PDA

View Full Version : Bugeye Project

siii8873
10-26-2011, 03:05 PM
well I put my rolling chassie in garage last night. I going to get started on the project. Started is not correct word. I have reconditioned a number of parts and also permanetly borrowed some others to keep other trucks going. These will need replacements. Truck is essentially stripped. Initial pictures attached. The picture of the truck together is not my garage it's the PO's.

cedryck
10-26-2011, 03:37 PM
looks great congratulations, cheers

jac04
10-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Post some more pictures when you get a chance. I'm always interested in a good project.

siii8873
10-26-2011, 07:01 PM
some pictures of parts I had galvanized, brake tower, clutch tower, bulkhead. Spent a few hours cleaning frame tonight a few more to go.
Has an older galv frame, looks good.

mrdoiron
10-27-2011, 11:35 AM
some pictures of parts I had galvanized, brake tower, clutch tower, bulkhead. Spent a few hours cleaning frame tonight a few more to go.
Has an older galv frame, looks good.

This looks like a great start... will be fun to see coming together,
m

siii8873
11-06-2011, 04:58 PM
I worked on my Transfer box today. Disassembled the case including front output housing. Did this to replace all the seals mostly. It will be mated to an overhauled gearbox. First work done on the truck in a while other than cleaning the frame. Have been to busy working on the other two.

I have my frame mostly cleaned up. It's an older galvy one in pretty good shape overall. The only area that has any condition problem is the outrigger that wiould be behind the fuel tank. It has some surface rust here. Contemplating hitting it with a waxoyl coat while it's stripped.

UPDATE: went out and tested the shifting of the case. The 4wd pin would not engage into the hole in the shaft easily. I didn't do any checks on it prior to assembly (didn't disassemble the shifting forks) should have. I pulled the front cover back off, did the checks / adjustments per the green book. Put it back together and it works fine now. Love doing things twice. The practice run always make it easier the second time.

siii8873
11-11-2011, 05:04 PM
worked on the project some this last week & today. Finished cleaning the frame in the area where the engine / gearbox will go. Decided to waxoyl it looks good. Probably overkill for a galvy chassie. Painted the galv bulkhead today. I used a two component PPG system for prepping the bulkhead recommended by the paint shop. Painted it withan acrylic urethane with a flattening additive to take some of the shine out. I like the look. I did it at afriends shop so no pictures yet. I'll take some when I bring it home.

siii8873
11-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Working on getting ready to put the engine in the bugeye. I have diesel motor mounts. What is the correct orientation of the steel plate on these mounts?

For example, bottom with vertical piece forward, top with vertical piece outside,,,....

siii8873
11-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Played hookey today. Put engine on frame, installed clutch parts, Completed manifold install (used original bolts for ones not in Fixing kit)
Cannot locate bellhousing nuts / few studs. Need these to install gearbox and T case. Few pictures

Update; gear box and T case installed today after work.

siii8873
12-08-2011, 12:52 PM
engine,gearbox and T Case installed. I also decided to waxoyl the frame. Left the rear xmember alone to match front bumper.
Have also rehabbed a number of parts. Having a heck of a time removing rear spring shackle bolts. Front all came off fine.
a few pictures;

albersj51
12-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Looks great!

SafeAirOne
12-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Having a heck of a time removing rear spring shackle bolts.

I know you know that the shackles are threaded and the bolts thread into the shackles, but I thought I'd throw that out there in the remote chance that you have amnesia and this is your difficulty in removing the bolts. ;)

siii8873
12-08-2011, 04:48 PM
thanks, but was aware of that. I cannot get them to turn even with a 2' extension.

SafeAirOne
12-08-2011, 05:44 PM
thanks, but was aware of that. I cannot get them to turn even with a 2' extension.

I figured you were. 2'? That IS stuck!

masonater
12-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Had the same problem with mine. I used a 3/4" impact gun and they came right out

siii8873
12-14-2011, 07:55 AM
spent some time on bugeye. rehabbed and installed the transmission brake system, spin on oil filter, carb. Oh yea loosly installed the bulkhead.
fought with the spring shackle bolts again, they are still winning.