PDA

View Full Version : water pump install problem

rejeep
10-27-2011, 08:36 AM
I know.. a seemingly simple thing is of course causing a problem..

on my Turner engine I went to install the WP and the top of the pump is just ever so slightly coming in contact with the bottom on the thermostat housing on the head..

I don’t know if the head, or block was shaved down THAT much that there would be interference..

has anybody come across this?

mongoswede
10-27-2011, 08:52 AM
I know.. a seemingly simple thing is of course causing a problem..

on my Turner engine I went to install the WP and the top of the pump is just ever so slightly coming in contact with the bottom on the thermostat housing on the head..

I don’t know if the head, or block was shaved down THAT much that there would be interference..

has anybody come across this?

is there enough material on the WP or thermo housing that a grinder could solve your problem?

rejeep
10-27-2011, 09:05 AM
i think I can nick the WP...
just didnt know if anybody has ever come across anything like this

cedryck
10-27-2011, 10:42 AM
I replaced a water pump on a Turner motor,(never shaved or skimmed), I replaced the stock wp with the better model with an actual bearing for the impellor, no spacing problems, but I agree with the last post, can you gingerly use a grinder to remove enough material to make it match?
cheers!

SafeAirOne
10-27-2011, 10:52 AM
just didnt know if anybody has ever come across anything like this

Yes. It's not unheard of because TeriAnn mentions this on her site (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/landRoverFAQ/FAQ_head.htm)in the FAQ's:

"There is very little clearance between the underside of the lower thermostat housing and the water pump housing. After resurfacing, ALWAYS check to see that the block's water pump housing is not interfering with the head's lower thermostat housing by laying the head on the block without the head gasket in place. You should be able to freely slide a sheet of paper between the lower thermostat housing and the water pump housing when there is no head gasket in place. If the surfaces touch, grind metal off both surfaces."