PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Not engaging 2.25 into 74 siii 109 ex mod

Tasi Autele
10-28-2011, 06:06 PM
I have run into a problem. I installed the engine, got it started and running. I was able to shift without the clutch and the gears did not engage or even make a grinding sound, and of course the vehicle did not budge one inch even while in gear. I am afraid that I am going to have to take the engine back out and see why it is not connecting correctly. Or is there an easier way to just slide it forward to get in between the tranny and the engine?
Thanks in advance,

Tasi

siii8873
10-28-2011, 06:27 PM
make sure you don't have tcase in neutral

Tasi Autele
10-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Please forgive my ignorance, I am learning as I go and this is my first series. I pushed the yellow knob down to lift the pin, then shifted the red knob forward and back to see if that would engage any gears. No luck. I assume the red knob is for 4/low/high?

siii8873
10-28-2011, 08:20 PM
you are correct the red knob in forward position is high range. In mid position is neutral, pulled back is 4WD low range.
The yellow knob is pushed down to engage 4WD while in high range (red knob forward). To disengage 4WD high pull the red lever back to 4WD low position and the yellow knob should pop up. Then put red knob back forward to put back in 2WD high range.

If you are engaged in gearbox could be a clutch problem. Do you have an overdrive, they also have a neutral position.

Apis Mellifera
10-29-2011, 07:46 AM
When joining the engine and gearbox, it is possible to misalign the clutch mechanism such that as the two are bolted tight the clutch lever is pressed. The outcome is that the clutch pedal is effectively pressed all the time despite the position of the actual pedal.

Tasi Autele
10-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Apis, That makes sense. Is there a way to check if that is the issue? I would like to avoid a complete engine removal if I can. Thank you for any info. Tasi

Apis Mellifera
10-29-2011, 09:41 PM
On mine I was in the middle of a gearbox R&R. It was a while ago, but as I recall the slave cylinder push rod was misaligned. As the gearbox bolts were tightened, the release arm was pushed. I started the truck, went through all the gear and no movement. I can't remember how I figured it out. I think I removed the slave and saw the push rod wedged against the bellhousing. I just unbolted the gearbox, separated the engine/gearbox enough to free the push rod, and then relocated it.

Tasi Autele
10-30-2011, 02:29 AM
Apis thank you. I am going to fiddle with it tomorrow and start taking things apart. I am sure I will be back on with another question soon...