PDA

View Full Version : Mainshaft bearing -transfer case?

kwd509
10-30-2011, 12:57 PM
1964- diesel 88"/Working slowing to replace gaskets and seals on the gearbox and transfer case. intimidated, more or less the process goes slowly, but then comes to a complete stop. HAving repaired a broken stud in the transfer case sump I prepared to move forward......

splitting the gearbox and transfer case requires removing the main shaft bearing housing and then removing the intermediate shaft. This was done late at night in a poorly lit shed (now I regret that I did not immediately closely examine the bearing assembly). As I took the mainshaft bearing assembly out one piece fell- it turned out to be a bushing. No circlip holding it! But that was all that fell. The other components identified in the attached diagram are not there.

Now, last summer I purchased a gearbox/transfer case for $50. It was said to be good, except lacking reverse......So this was a great way to get the missing parts, and indeed they are there.

my original gearbox is # 25191353C/ the spare gearbox is 25276035D
The original seems to rely on a bushing alone/while the spare has a roller bearing.

This raises two questions (the first being most perplexing):
1- neither main bearing housings are a firm wiggle-free fit when mated to the main shaft (just hand fitting them), when I re-join the gearbox and transfer case will tightening down the main shaft bearing housing provide sufficient fixing?

2- Are the mainshaft bearing assemblies interchangable? if so which should I use? looks like the original would work with simple addition of a circlip.

3- Am I missing something here (figuratively or literally)?
I am hoping that the issue is another case of over-thinking and that the insight of memebers will put me back on track.

Thanks.

siii8873
10-31-2011, 04:00 PM
I have removed two of these housings in the last few weeks. Both required some pursuation to get them started out. Could not just pull them out by hand. Not sure why yours would come out so easy.
I am pretty sure they would be interchangeable if both from a 2.25.
There certainly is supposed to be a circlip. Pick the best bearing of the two and use it.

kwd509
10-31-2011, 09:03 PM
i cleaned up the bearing assembly from the earlier gearbox, and decided that the thing I called a bushing is not.........
It is more accurately characterized as a 'sleeve bearing'. I hope I am getting closer in description. ....made of brass it is self-lubricating in the bearing housing ........ To be honest, it's function took me aback....... I thought I was missing some part, but now it looks like the difference between the two is a design change. And my earlier trans case is not what is described in my parts manual. Functionally it is the same as the later needle bearings........ but it is not the same.

One would assume there was a reason for the change? Does the brass wear? It has no apparent play.

And, now I am seeing other differences between my 2a parts manual transfer case and my earlier gearbox b/transfer case.

Should I be concerned as to whether parts are interchangeable?
Thanks.

Gearbox numbers...... * * 25191353c. And. *25276035d?