PDA

View Full Version : Recommend good book to read up on Series trucks for newbie?

dawgvet
11-01-2011, 06:29 PM
I haven't bought my first Land Rover yet but I am intensely interested in classic Series trucks. Can someone recommend a good book chronicling the different Series trucks and the nuances and pro/cons of each? Just trying to learn all I can so when I do get one I'll make the best choice.
Thanks,
Jedidiah

Winemark
11-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I suggest you look for:

"Frustration, Wrenches and Addiction" which was strangely co-written by almost everyone on this forum

SafeAirOne
11-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Not a book, but the lrfaq website (http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.2.main.html)is pretty good at spelling out what each model/series is, providing you're not looking for "in November 1964, from vehicle number 10634, the kotter pin on the handbrake pivot pin retainer was changed from 1/16" diameter to 3/32""-type information.

HinFL
11-01-2011, 11:25 PM
I like Lindsay Porter's "Land-Rover Series I, II & III, Guide to Purchase & DIY Restoration". Mine's a hardcover, copyright 1992. I also see "Haynes F681" on the spine. First part covers Land Rover history, then model and year descriptions, followed by buying considerations. The vast majority covers actual restoration & maintenance (which is a glimpse into what real-world Series Rover ownership really entails). Appendix 3 has good info on technical specification changes over the years with the various models.

Also, Brooklands Road Test Books has 2 separate softcover books on Series II & IIa (1958-1971) and Series III (1971-1985). They're both compilations of magazine articles and road tests of those vehicles.

I'm a relatively new Series Rover owner myself. The folks on this forum are the best; always willing to lend their experience and advice. I wish you the best in your search for your first Rover!

rrc.swb
11-02-2011, 08:25 AM
This is a good book I borrowed from a friend.

Land Rover Series II and IIA Specification Guide (http://www.amazon.com/Land-Rover-IIA-Specification-Guide/dp/1847971601)

smukai
11-02-2011, 10:23 AM
I like Lindsay Porter's "Land-Rover Series I, II & III, Guide to Purchase & DIY Restoration". Mine's a hardcover, copyright 1992.

Agreed...this has been hugely helpful over the past 12 years for me....